Third Party Press

"Circle z" marking

M1903A3

Keeper of the Def's Head
What is the current wisdom on K98 parts with the Czech "Circled z" marking? Legit WWII use on guns or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If legitimate, then more likely to be found on a dou rifle. Are you talking about a circle Z marked part that appears to have been used when a rifle was assembled or one that was potentially used in a repair?

I don't think there is a blanket "correct" answer. A Czech small part, like a safety on an early dot or dou, correctly numbered with correct font, maybe. Anything not numbered to the rifle, or on a different maker, I would be very doubtful of.

If legitimate, then more likely to be found on a dou rifle. Are you talking about a circle Z marked part that appears to have been used when a rifle was assembled or one that was potentially used in a repair?

That's the thing, I see them around on rifles here and there but as far as I can recall I've never seen one in a place or a use that I can be 100% sure it's original. But there are enough floating around that they appear somewhat regularly. Maybe a better question would have been more along your lines, has anyone GOT such a part on a rifle (or from a rifle) that we can be sure was made with that part? Then secondly can we know if they were made during wartime at all?

I don't think there is a blanket "correct" answer. A Czech small part, like a safety on an early dot or dou, correctly numbered with correct font, maybe. Anything not numbered to the rifle, or on a different maker, I would be very doubtful of.

Agreed, see my refinement above. Basically I am asking two things: were "circle z"'parts made during WWII or not, and were they used on wartime rifles or not if they were?

What is the current wisdom on K98 parts with the Czech "Circled z" marking? Legit WWII use on guns or no?

Yes, now whether they were produced during German occupation or prior to the Germans "rolling in" in '38 is anyone's guess. I have a few on my dot41 g33/40. They are on nearly every small part on my dou42 g24(t). They are definitely correct for Czech produced rifles of the period. As others have pointed out, I'd be extremely skeptical if I saw these marked components on a non Czech produced rifle.

Here is a partial answer, we can be sure that WaA and the trademark “circled z” coexist at least on bayonets.
9e47696741e5d0ee689c38036fbaf161.png
a13603128883eb0961e03bd02b9a7d3c.png
b2af2e067c9992c63f3415c3f41c9416.png
72bbb011727fcfb9ffd93af340ae89fd.png

Yes, now whether they were produced during German occupation or prior to the Germans "rolling in" in '38 is anyone's guess. I have a few on my dot41 g33/40. They are on nearly every small part on my dou42 g24(t). They are definitely correct for Czech produced rifles of the period. As others have pointed out, I'd be extremely skeptical if I saw these marked components on a non Czech produced rifle.

Agreed, I keep seeing every so often a “circled z” Czech part on a German manufactured K98 and it makes me wonder where the parts came from and how they ended up on each rifle. I have always thought that they are parts added or swapped later, I have no proof of “circle z” parts used in the ORIGINAL ASSEMBLY of a German K98, I mean such a part would have to have both a “circled z” AND a WaA marking AND a matching serial number to be sure of original use outside Czech made guns.

Yes, now whether they were produced during German occupation or prior to the Germans "rolling in" in '38 is anyone's guess. I have a few on my dot41 g33/40. They are on nearly every small part on my dou42 g24(t). They are definitely correct for Czech produced rifles of the period..

I'd certainly agree with these points. Based on the production numbers at both factories I'm sure there were already many marked parts 'in the pipeline' when the Germans moved in. Another thing to consider is they weren't really quick to start changing things.

..I'd be extremely skeptical if I saw these marked components on a non Czech produced rifle.

Certainly agree. I'll also bet it would come with a great 'story' about why it's there and how it's totally legit.

My striker for has this Z on it aswell, looking for insight

Agreed, I keep seeing every so often a “circled z” Czech part on a German manufactured K98 and it makes me wonder where the parts came from and how they ended up on each rifle. I have always thought that they are parts added or swapped later, I have no proof of “circle z” parts used in the ORIGINAL ASSEMBLY of a German K98, I mean such a part would have to have both a “circled z” AND a WaA marking AND a matching serial number to be sure of original use outside Czech made guns.

I just bought a byf k98 from 43 and it has the Czech Z on the striker but also has a matching serial number on it, but not a waA mark, could this have been a replacement part possibly during war time?

Attachments

• 15732631828603974615639573048616.jpg
    15732631828603974615639573048616.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 80
I just bought a byf k98 from 43 and it has the Czech Z on the striker but also has a matching serial number on it, but not a waA mark, could this have been a replacement part possibly during war time?

Circle Z Brunn small parts turn up in dot and dou production and as armorer spares. I’ve not seen them as OEM on other manufacturers. Would need to see your serial number on this part.

I'm brand new to the forum but I have a question on the Circle Z proof mark. I have a Sporterized Mauser from Interarms purchased through Sears in the early 70's. There are no marks on the big ring except a number 9643 and a Circle Z proof mark. The barrel also has a Circle Z proof mark. Is there any way to determine who manufactured this rifle?

I'm brand new to the forum but I have a question on the Circle Z proof mark. I have a Sporterized Mauser from Interarms purchased through Sears in the early 70's. There are no marks on the big ring except a number 9643 and a Circle Z proof mark. The barrel also has a Circle Z proof mark. Is there any way to determine who manufactured this rifle?
Czech made reciever and barrel

Should be presented, how it looks on real pictures.Control proof of Czechoslovak armory is circle Z. Unfortunally there exist mexican and polish rifle parts with similar Z in circle stamp.
I believe most of the interarms imported guns were built on old Czech actions

Agreed, pictures will save you endless amounts of typing. More often than not, whenever I hear of "just serial numbers and circle Z proofmark", I think of a SCW/export Polish Wz.29.

IMG_4898 resized.JPGIMG_4877 Resized.JPG

Here are three pics of the rifle. It's hard to do anything with it unless you know what it is. Historical value is gone but it shoots well (except steel case).

Attachments

• IMG_4882 resized.JPG
    IMG_4882 resized.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 11

Military Rifle Journal
Back