Third Party Press

Cleaning Wife’s ce 41

Willy

I bought my wife this rifle as a start of her collection. She has a few rifles( k31, k11, Swedish Mauser and a couple others). We want to know the best way to clean is with out harming it. Was told the rifle was never fired by the previous owner. It looks like It hasn’t been messed with. So what would you recommend? It’s very humid in south eastern Kentucky. Rust can be a real foe. I keep my rifles covered in a light coat of oil. But I always clean new purchases.47E19CCD-F54B-4DB3-A6B7-285C647BE3CA.jpgC243D50A-EDC6-4377-98FF-270D94CC3918.jpgC725CB20-FEE6-40ED-8D52-36F3FDE5B963.jpgBD814FCD-D3B8-4C91-B7D1-811077B9A0EE.jpg17237F43-9BD4-44CC-9BA1-BCB8B16DCB77.jpg8514182D-0131-405E-A42A-F0D13346AEEA.jpgAF3D18BA-E8A7-456E-9E18-E3F3295162F6.jpg7BAB1ACF-580B-4AAA-AE53-518677DA0CC6.jpg73DF2930-975F-481B-AAB8-76DBD9AF8BB7.jpgBE048F12-DD8D-4FA6-A348-5D2B92B2FD9B.jpg610CCF77-08F8-4014-BD66-B629FDCC6AAB.jpg92451A64-DC8E-4DDA-88ED-C30B3D046E0C.jpg

I don't have the answer to your question but I'm happy to learn I'm not the only one who has gotten their SO interested in mauser collecting! Talk about it long enough and they either get interested or put in earplugs I guess..

I wouldn't do anything more than you've done but maybe if there's proper rust and not just patina below the woodline, you have to take care of that. Beautiful rifle.

Hey Willy,

Do the eagles still have the swastika at the base? I also have a CE 41 but the eagles are sitting on just a globe. Just curious. Very nice rifle btw.

Hey Willy,

Do the eagles still have the swastika at the base? I also have a CE 41 but the eagles are sitting on just a globe. Just curious. Very nice rifle btw.

I will check I’m out right now. I have another problem that will need answers by the pros here. I bought a dou 44 but it was coated with I guess shalack

Does the stock match? Looks like a nice solid rifle. Just wipe it down with oil and a cloth. Nothing on the wood. Less is more.

Does the stock match? Looks like a nice solid rifle. Just wipe it down with oil and a cloth. Nothing on the wood. Less is more.

Stock is matching. It has grime of the ages no rust just some patina. Looks untouched just aging. My dou 44 was coated with something I guess a shalack to include some of the metal lol. It’s matching as well I got them in a package deal.

I'd do nothing to it. I'd wipe the metal with some ballistol, lightly. I'd brush and clean the bore until a patch came out clean. Then, I'd soak a patch in ballistol and run it through there. I wouldn't touch the wood. If you start brushing those rust spots you're going to get shine. It looks great just as it is. :thumbsup:

I agree with the less is more crowd, you would be crazy to do much to this rifle, it is perfect the way it is and any further "cleaning" would probably be detrimental. To safeguard your wife's fine rifle, keep it in a cool dry environment and keep it lightly oiled.

personally, I would wipe it down as suggested and locked it in the safe with a bore store and then buy my so /wife a shooter a mis match

nice rifle

While ballistol is a good cleaning agent I would use a good oil to lightly coat the metal and bore. I use LSA, tends not to move from where you put it. Ballistol will be ok but I noticed in weather on a firearm I had outside, it did not fair as well as a one treated with LSA or any other gun oil.

Really nice rifle. Not fired by the PO or not fired at all? The bolt face could probably tell that tale. The cut edges on the wood look really crisp so I guess it's possible. I agree with the suggestion of a little oil lightly wiped on the metal.

By not fired I meant by the previous owner. Both are vet bring backs. Ce41 has been said to have not been fired since coming home. I find that hard to believe. I just took some oil and lightly wiped it. My wife has really gotten I to WW2 rifles, she’s talking about finding a bnz 45 now, which I think is great. Thanks for all the tips and input we greatly appreciate the help. I’m gonna clean the dou 44 up I’m positive it’s stock has been coated with some form of varnish. It appears to be on the floor plate as well. The band must have been left in place as well. It’s a nice rifle and I know the old timers though they were helping but that sucks.

While ballistol is a good cleaning agent I would use a good oil to lightly coat the metal and bore. I use LSA, tends not to move from where you put it. Ballistol will be ok but I noticed in weather on a firearm I had outside, it did not fair as well as a one treated with LSA or any other gun oil.

I would agree more than I wouldn't that there are better products for protecting. I like Ballistol because it is "original" and my experience with it shooting, bore cleaning, etc., is that it is good enough. Plus, it's not toxic or harmful to wood and leather slings like penetrating oils. I do not use CLP except on modern stuff and when I run out that will be the end of it. Ballistol has been simply good enough for everything I use it for, from bore cleaning to exterior, though as Mto said, there are better products to protect metal. We had a member here do a corrosion test with nails for various products which was great. The link is dead though. Do not know what happened.

but of interest:
http://www.guncleaningtips.com/the-best-gun-clps-corrosion-and-lubrication-tests/

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

Last edited:
..We had a member here do a corrosion test with nails for various products which was great. The link is dead though. Do not know what happened.

I remember that. It wasn't too awful long ago. I agree with your other points too. Personally since I 'discovered' it here I've really come to like Ballistol. It's nice on my hands and I like the smell quite a bit. Even the wife has come around to the smell. It's certainly been 'good enough' IME and it is period correct German.

nice untouched

Like everyone says...clean the bore and wipe down the exterior. Nothing abrasive...do not clean..

I use CLP Collector and it comes out top in many tests...I like the flavor of Ballistol though.....:laugh:

My dou44 has varnish on the wood as well as a lot of the metal? What do u suggest? It does not look sanded nor do I wish to. I thought about disassemble it and clean the metal bits? Any suggestions on this problem. I have used the gun blaster on a couple of Mosins and it got the varnish off the metal without hurting the finish.

I use CLP Collector and it comes out top in many tests...I like the flavor of Ballistol though.....:laugh:

I wasn't even aware there was a "CLP Collector" product. My stuff is in an HVACd room with a dehumidifier and safe that maintains 45-50% humidity. It doesn't take much to keep things from rusting, but one must be wary of it, particularly after shooting and transferring from range, to hot vehicle, to AC, etc. I'll run a patch through up to three days after the post range cleaning. Again, I simply use Ballistol because it is "original", the most inert as to leather and wood, even not being bad for wood (unlike CLPs and such). It is the least that still works pretty good. In fact, it's good enough such that I use it on my modern firearms now too, ARs, AKs, .22s, etc. for everything. There are better products for bore cleaning, and protection, but again, Ballistol has worked fine for me over 25 years, is non-toxic, and I actually don't mind the smell. If my firearms were out in the wild more or not in a climate controlled spot I would likely up the preservation oil game.

Last edited:
My dou44 has varnish on the wood as well as a lot of the metal? What do u suggest? It does not look sanded nor do I wish to. I thought about disassemble it and clean the metal bits? Any suggestions on this problem. I have used the gun blaster on a couple of Mosins and it got the varnish off the metal without hurting the finish.

Done properly, with an antique furniture stripper, that varnish can be removed easily and may expose a really nice protected piece of wood under it. To tone down that bare wood and protect the wood and metal from stripper residue, I will usually come back over it with a light wipe of "original" Ballistol. Whatever Ballistol is left I wipe on some toast and eat it or clean my dog's ears with it. Remember, there are one or two guys here who are chronically disturbed that I ever suggested Howards Feed and Wax ("HFW") for use on certain abused and neglected rifle stocks, so the "light wipe of Ballistol" really means light. Think if it as me saying "drinking water can be good for you" and someone interpreting that to mean that I am an advocate of hyponatremia.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Where do you get this cleaner/oil/ jam/toe nail fungus killer that y’all are talking about lol? I really want to try it and I’ve never heard of it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back