Third Party Press

Czech postwar stock ID

rew

I recently purchased a postwar Czech K98K, 8mm. It has a scrubbed BRNO marked receiver, four digit serial no. with capital K suffix, matching bolt body, unmarked safety, unmarked cocking piece, lion proofs on barrel and receiver, and the barrel is marked with a dot 11 shield, LF, and a stick eagle 83. The trigger guard and floor plate are machined, marked with matching four digit serial numbers and both stamped with stick eagle WaA83. Neither the front or rear sights are marked and there's no front sight hood. The walnut stock is not original, as it is an Israeli engraved 7.62. It has no markings on the butt cap or the bands. It has not been milled for a cleaning rod. It has the various markings as shown in the photos, the most interesting being what appears to be a six digit serial number in the barrel channel and the circle 5 and 7 marked on the recoil block. Can anyone help me with determining the origin of the stock? German? Belgian? Czech? Thanks1000006332.jpg20240312_202859.jpg20240312_202939.jpg20240312_203003.jpg20240312_203035.jpg20240312_203053.jpg20240312_203108.jpg20240312_203124.jpg20240312_203133.jpg20240312_203451.jpg

The number is ISR for sure and typical for the guns made by FN for ISR. The stock is definitely like those for ISR FN-rifles: takedown hole in the cupped butt plate, not drilled for cleaning rod, no common band spring, even the bands are typical for FN/ISR. (There's also an ISR mark on the right butt.) But those are usually made from solid beech, so I tend to think that this stock here is just an exception to the rule.
It is not seldom seen that a CZ gun sits in a Belgian stock and vice versa.

You have any pix of the rec?

Many greetings

T

Attachments

• Mauser 98 CZ SN 4107 e_I_170201.jpg
    Mauser 98 CZ SN 4107 e_I_170201.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Mauser 98 CZ SN 4107 e_I_170203.jpg
    Mauser 98 CZ SN 4107 e_I_170203.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 21
The Israelis did piece together rifles from assorted serviceable parts over the years of service there, so mix-n-match not uncommon. Much like many postwar users of these rifles.

The number is ISR for sure and typical for the guns made by FN for ISR. The stock is definitely like those for ISR FN-rifles: takedown hole in the cupped butt plate, not drilled for cleaning rod, no common band spring, even the bands are typical for FN/ISR. (There's also an ISR mark on the right butt.) But those are usually made from solid beech, so I tend to think that this stock here is just an exception to the rule.
It is not seldom seen that a CZ gun sits in a Belgian stock and vice versa.

You have any pix of the rec?

Many greetings

T
Here's the receiver photos. Has some gouges from someone putting it in a vice or using pliers on it. Also, there are no import marks anywhere on the rifle, so it's been here a while. I think the stock may have been a more recent addition by the previous owner--it appears to have been sanded and they soaked it in enough linseed oil that even after sitting on the rack at my local gunshop since last September, it was still weeping out. (I've spent a fair amount of time getting the oil out, it was very, very dark when I bought it.) There's much lighter raw wood on the right side trigger area inleting, which appears to have been cut more recently while fitting the action to the oiled stock.20240313_083524.jpg20240313_195137.jpg20240313_085239.jpg20240313_085047.jpg

Here's the receiver photos. Has some gouges from someone putting it in a vice or using pliers on it. Also, there are no import marks anywhere on the rifle, so it's been here a while. I think the stock may have been a more recent addition by the previous owner--it appears to have been sanded and they soaked it in enough linseed oil that even after sitting on the rack at my local gunshop since last September, it was still weeping out. (I've spent a fair amount of time getting the oil out, it was very, very dark when I bought it.) There's much lighter raw wood on the right side trigger area inleting, which appears to have been cut more recently while fitting the action to the oiled stock.View attachment 387002View attachment 387003View attachment 387004View attachment 387005
Yes, seeing that it is still in 8mm rather than 7.62, I think you're correct on the stock.

The crest was removed from top of receiver, the barell was even german E/63 proofed so it was remains of german contract.Fireproofed for CS army contract.

Thanks for the pix! Finding an original matching postwar BRNO Mauser is rather uncommon. The right stock for your Mauser would be laminate wood, not drilled for cleaning rod, takedown hole in the cupped butt plate, and with bayo rail. Bands etc would be of the stamped and welded type. All those pieces are not numbered.

greetings

T

It probably depends to who was the rifles delivered as by Israel was done much more refurbishment and rework to other caliber, are origin condition postwar CS rifles scarce, but by other contracts could be find them wout problem.

Thanks everyone for your help. Since my postwar Czech rifle has a number of late war parts, and based on the prices I've seen, I assume that if it originally had a surplus late war laminated stock and hardware it was probably worth quite a bit to someone for restoring a wartime Kriegsmodell? (then retrofit my Czech with a surplus Israeli/Belgian stock in order to sell it).

Thanks everyone for your help. Since my postwar Czech rifle has a number of late war parts, and based on the prices I've seen, I assume that if it originally had a surplus late war laminated stock and hardware it was probably worth quite a bit to someone for restoring a wartime Kriegsmodell? (then retrofit my Czech with a surplus Israeli/Belgian stock in order to sell it).

Maybe? You're deep into unknowable territory. Maybe it got looted to fix a more desirable gun that had been sportered. Maybe it just had a cracked stock and someone bought a replacement when all the Israeli stuff was coming in. There's also a non-zero chance that it was in Israeli service and they just never re-barreled that. You see that, and those vice marks or whatever they are on the receiver are similar to something I've seen on Israeli guns.

Several years ago I bought a similar early post-war scrubbed receiver Brno K98 that was still in 8x57 but also wearing an Israeli 7.62 marked stock. My assumption at the time was that it was one of the stockless actions imported by Samco (as it was marked) and a previous owner picked up a loose Israeli stock to put it in. It's as likely as any other possible scenario.

Military Rifle Journal
Back