Third Party Press

DOT 1944 Semi Kriegsmodell

Absolut

As mentioned the 660 coded K98k from 1940 came with a DOT coded K98k from 1944. The rifle is serial 59.960, so already very late and therefore no longer many serials to be found.

A funny fact is the overstamped third digit in the serial number on the barrel which makes it impossible to tell if it should read 59.960 or 59.660, but a look on the bolt handle solves this mystery. It is pretty much a textbook sample, exhibiting all DOT associated late war features. I especially love the very crude stock with the ribs which are quite tough to picture. But they can easily be felt when having the rifle in hands.

PS: While typing the topic to this thread I asked myself why do I (and quite a few others) tend to write the German manufacturer codes in capital letters, while in fact on K98k rifles we only face lower case letters. Possibly a kind of plague which you get infected by reading on this board :googlie

Attachments

• dot1944_01.JPG
    dot1944_01.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 143
  • dot1944_02.jpg
    dot1944_02.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 125
  • dot1944_03.jpg
    dot1944_03.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 152
  • dot1944_04.jpg
    dot1944_04.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 125
  • dot1944_05.jpg
    dot1944_05.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 111
  • dot1944_06.jpg
    dot1944_06.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 110
  • dot1944_07.jpg
    dot1944_07.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 116
  • dot1944_08.jpg
    dot1944_08.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 100
  • dot1944_09.jpg
    dot1944_09.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 113
  • dot1944_10.jpg
    dot1944_10.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 98
Rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• dot1944_11.JPG
    dot1944_11.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 74
  • dot1944_12.jpg
    dot1944_12.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 86
  • dot1944_13.jpg
    dot1944_13.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 94
  • dot1944_14.jpg
    dot1944_14.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 81
Gorgeous, that 660 has a good stablemate. I love this one even more, I used to collect KM and late dot/dou stuff before sniper bug came and all those went away!

Jeff

A nice & classic semi-k dot 1944. Flip the recoil 180 degrees when you get the chance... I doubt it left the factory that way

..Flip the recoil 180 degrees when you get the chance... I doubt it left the factory that way

Not arguing but my impression was this might never have been apart. TG screws still appear staked/unmoved and the band screws have nary a mark. Another wonderful piece I think you can see the corn-cob in the stock quite plainly. Interesting color on the RSB screw. I noticed the capital G on the recoil lug face too. Mike's right you have gotten some wonderful pieces lately. Thanks for sharing this one too.

Not arguing but my impression was this might never have been apart. TG screws still appear staked/unmoved and the band screws have nary a mark. Another wonderful piece I think you can see the corn-cob in the stock quite plainly. Interesting color on the RSB screw. I noticed the capital G on the recoil lug face too. Mike's right you have gotten some wonderful pieces lately. Thanks for sharing this one too.

My favorite part is the seemingly fire blued sight screw too, not sure if standard bluing salts can get that hot?? Over 600 deg. It’s also good to see the “G” lug too, one of mine has one and I was curious about that, I think this is the only other one I’ve seen or can remember at least haha. Super nice rifle :thumbsup:

That is a beautiful specimen, congrats. I’m really intrigued in the semi-krieg variants. The variations in the late war period make them so interesting.

Good that I did some pictures, have now noticed some new stuff myself too ... anyone an idea on the capital M in the sling cutout on the LEFT side? And in case some have missed it and something that was hard to picture, there is a capital H on the right side of the stock, the Army acceptance.

The damn story is that I'm caught on snipers myself (and unfortunately crazy enough to not limit myself to a certain country), and basically I don't even collect K98k rifles but can't pass on items like this. Does this even sound trustworthy, telling this in a forum dedicated to the K98k rifle? Or will I now be banned .. :boom:

My favorite part is the seemingly fire blued sight screw too, not sure if standard bluing salts can get that hot??

Most likely a depot spare part used in production. Early Sauer screws were fire blues like that, and bsw parts I’ve seen finished in fire blue. Lots of armorers components used by Brünn I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not arguing but my impression was this might never have been apart. TG screws still appear staked/unmoved and the band screws have nary a mark.

I will strongly suggest it has been apart. pic dot1944_13, which shows the bands (rather in close-up) on the right side shows where the rear band grazed the wood and left a "light mark" as it was slid forward. The wood around the recoil lug (on the G-side) appears like it has been slightly deformed.

Still, a dandy rifle... but I do have a pet peeve about seeing recoil lugs being flipped :facepalm:

Holy cow that is a lovely stock. I like the lack of grime in it, and the fire-blued screw in the rear sight base. Interesting how worn the bolt knob is, and how the extractor and bolt release lever don't have their usual red coloring.

I have number 59.928, only 32 rifles before yours, made on the same day probably! Crazy! Does yours have a WaA37 safety as well? Also any idea on the barrel code?
Another thing of note, 59.928's barrel is plum colored. I wonder if yours started out with similar coloring on the barrel and extractor, etc.
I posted 59.928 here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?37288-Dueling-dot-Brothers

..I do have a pet peeve about seeing recoil lugs being flipped :facepalm:

Yes you do. You seemingly catch that every time. I see those subtle reminders you pointed out. Usually much more obvious when they've been apart. I wonder if they were 'ever' installed backwards at the factory? You'd have to think the probability is there.

Yes you do. You seemingly catch that every time. I see those subtle reminders you pointed out. Usually much more obvious when they've been apart. I wonder if they were 'ever' installed backwards at the factory? You'd have to think the probability is there.
Look closely at the spanner holes on that recoil nut.... they appear slightly worked on... and the wood near that recoil nut .... which also appears less than original...

Yes I now see the spanner holes and that 'scrape' from the rear band hole. Man those are really subtle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back