Third Party Press

Dot 44

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
Picked up an all matching DOT 44 straight from a veterans closet today. The stock seems dry with some cracks and there seems to be paint splatter from where the closet was painted. What advice do yall have for removing the paint?

Here are some basic pictures, I would be more than happy to provide any more pictures yall require.

20140307_181850.jpg
20140307_181953.jpg
View attachment 71685
20140307_183121.jpg
20140307_182209.jpg

If it were me I'd try to flake it off with my fingernail, other than that you risk making the rifle look over cleaned.

It will not come off with a nail. Perhaps using copper/bronze will do it. Should I just treat it like rust?

Also, any thoughts on the stock? Howards?

Paint

I'd leave it alone. You'd be surprised but I've seen a lot of k98s with white paint splatter. Go figure...

My vote is leave it be bc you'll mess it up even worse if you're not careful.

Nice rifle.

I agree with the above statements for the most part.

The most agressive I would go, would be to rub it down with an oil soaked rag. If the white doesnt come off, then leave it, and the metal will be oiled. haha

Do not worry, I will leave it.

I love these rifles for the history and it is really neat that this sat for so long in a closet. There is no dufflecut and there was a TON of dust inside the stock that I wiped down with a dry rag.

Used Balistol on the rest.

Here are some more pictures of the stock! Hopefully I can get some input. The crack behind the bolt is the worst spot. There is also a crack on the inside of the stock.

20140307_182929.jpg
20140307_182019.jpg
20140307_182221.jpg
20140307_183000.jpg

Glad to hear that you decided to leave it alone. Was kind of following the post and comments to see what direction and or suggestions may come up on how to deal with the paint.

would not use that as a shooter with the cracks. Nice find, not as crusty as the one I got last year that hung on the wall of a heavy smoker. Or maybe a VFW or something like that.

Definitely will not shoot it. It has been wiped down and put in a gun sock. Still waiting on wood advice.

I do have a question for yall. My Heer stamp on the stock is vertical. I showed the rifle to someone today and they pointed it out to me and said they had not seen it before. Is this something that is normal?

20140308_144639.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back