Third Party Press

Early or Late L-block byf44

Bob in OHIO

Thought I'd post this one again now that the book is out and the rifle may be more relevant. The receiver appears to be 64889 with the L popped over the "9" while the bolt is 6488... Dual tone gun with gray bolt/blue receiver and standard stock. Also, a nice gray TG/FP

I guess the question is about the standard stock. Are they sprinkled in the L-block even as late as 64xxx?

Attachments

• byfdual.47.JPG
    byfdual.47.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 233
  • byfdual.50.JPG
    byfdual.50.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 182
  • byfdual.26.JPG
    byfdual.26.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 191
  • byfduaL9.jpg
    byfduaL9.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 209
  • byfdual.44.JPG
    byfdual.44.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 209
mine is 48849 l, solid stock full trim, 1 proofed bolt, phosphate bolt and shroud, t/guard, otherwise all blue.

My byf 44 84594 l is a standard stock rifle. One of my German svwMB's is too. I believe the common denominator is that both are C stocks.

I think trying to class byf44 L blocks into a certain range is risky. I will say that standard Mauser made stocks don't show up on byf45 rifles (to date) but can show up in any serial range of L block, even the 60,000 range. Most of the higher blocks were completed late 44/early 45, so the higher the serial the less likely to find a standard type Mauser Oberndorf made stock. As Pisgah points out, the C stocks show up from L block until the end of production.

MIght be an interesting research project.... to look deeper into some key production blocks. What are the characteristics of the byf44 in the L-block since it seems to be an important tipping point for Kriegs stock and phosphate....

I'd be interested ...

=> when gray bolts start
=> when gray receivers start
=> when Kriegs stocks start
=> how common are subcontract stocks
=> locking screws
=> bolt maker

The Japanese collectors/researchers, Doss White and Don Voigt, have done nice work by collecting characteristics on the T99 by series and each series represent 100K guns made. Surprisingly, there is considerable variation with the J-stuff...maybe more than the German stuff. Not every series is variable but I randonmly flipped to the 33rd series listed in "The Japanese Type99 Arisaka Rifle: A guide for the collector and historian". That series has about 40 guns listed by SN and 12(!) characteristics are recorded. The 7th series has about 150 guns chronicled and those same 12 characteristics. The Japanese collectors began detailed T99 data collection in 1982 which has been published periodically and revised over the years... just a thought

Everything you mentioned except bolt manufacturer is already in the byf 44/45 serial number study. Decipher the abbreviations & you're in business.

bob i think the important thing is it falls out of the range of your collection therefore you should sell it -- to me! j/k of course but i've always loved that gun!

Bob:

I have 4893 “L” and it is has a standard stock. The bolt and receiver are blued. Bands are blued, stamped and unumbered. TG is blued, unnumbered. The floorplate is phosphate and unnumbered. Stock and handguard are unnumbered. Wood texture is rough.

Military Rifle Journal
Back