Third Party Press

fellas, talk to me about this byf 44 "vet bringback"

xwarp

i've cross posted this, which i hope is ok:

so this ad shows up on backpage for this mauser. here are some pics and details:

byf 44. bolt s/n, firing pin matches receiver. the gas shield and cocking indicator matches each other and is "8483". the stock has no markings on it anywhere. the buttplate has no markings. the barrel bands are also free from any markings, s/n's or proofs. is missing the hand guard and the stock is duffle cut. the stock appears to have never been finished, or touched by anyone for that matter.

the floor plate, trigger housing are stamped metal type and are marked byf with 135 proofs. has capture screws. rear sight parts are all proofed 135.

no apparent markings on the outside of the front site shield.

NO IMPORT MARKS.

bluing i'd call 80%, bore very sharp, shiny and clean.

seller stated that his 91 y.o. father brought it back, but did not have a whole lot of detail on it. he did state that he would ask and would get back to me.

what kind of value are we looking at here?

let me know if more pics are needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Not a lot of info to go on with the pics. If a late byf44, I'd say easily $1200. That is if everything is correct and the stock is not sanded- should have markings on the wood. Do you have the serial from the receiver? Looks to be missing some parts too.

He posted additional photos on GunBoards. Appears to be a nice late K block byf 44 missing its handguard. The bolt screw appears to be a factory mismatch but the bolt flat matches the receiver serial number. The E/WaA135 is present on the right of the stock and is likely a light strike and not sanded.

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

it's been a hectic weekend, and it's still not over.

i am not sure which board gets most traffic, but i know that the people that know these things are between the two.

yes, the proof on the stock is a light stamp. the stock has not been sanded.

also, please see my story about the actual deal with this rifle.

it's called "karma and a k98......"

here is a link to it. hope you read and enjoy it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?213348-karma-and-a-k98-my-story-about-the-byf-44-i-just-got.

Military Rifle Journal
Back