Third Party Press

Finally, the G29Ö

S/42

Thunda from down unda
This one took FOREVER to get here, but finally, all is finished.

To date, this is my most extensive project/restoration. It started out with a barrelled action with correct stock (mismatched to rifle), reproduction handguard, and some Model 1929 parts, plus the odd K98 part, that I had obtained from one of our great moderators here - take a bow John P. (John had obtained this from Malaki, for those who keep track of such things). The barrelled action matched thus: action, barrel, sight, ejector box. Nothing else matched, and the only other G29Ö parts were the follower, trigger, upper band and stock.

I set about finding as many correct G29Ö parts as I could, and some thanks go out here:

Peter S - thanks bud! We did some trades that saw me come out with a G29Ö floorplate and the ultra-elusive and exceptionally rare detachable sling swivel (the one that goes on the mid-band, not the common butt swivel)

Mike C - thanks again! Genuine all-matching G29Ö bolt (different to a K98 bolt in a few respects, notably the angle of the handle bend)

Karl Huurre - we did a trade for some G29Ö bands and Model 1929 bands - I used these bands as further trade, but most importantly, to obtain the special band screws unique to these rifles.

Dave "Oswald621" - he was the one that was lucky enough to see and quickly hit Buy it Now on the complete G29Ö stock set on eBay. He sent it to me. The handguard was cracked forward of the band area and the piece missing, but I fixed that. Most importantly, the entire set matched, including the bands.

Tommy Vervest in Holland - Tom found me a K98 rod that matched.

As I mentioned, the handguard was cracked forward of the mid band area, and the broken off piece missing. I decided to splice in a replacement piece of walnut to the rear section of the genuine handguard. I managed to match colour almost exactly, yet the grain is not entirely right - close, but not exact. Still, 100% better than a repro handguard (which I also made with help of Leszek Fox in Poland, who made me a rough handguard to my dimensions that I finished off - it fits VERY well, but in my mind, 50% genuine handguard is better than a repro). If anyone wants details and photos on how I spliced in the handguard, let me know and I will post it.

So, it's now all assembled. It's a bitser, but it's a nice bitser :googlie All up, it cost me about $1500, which is perhaps what a bolt mismatch one MIGHT go for, if you could find one. I don't care about the money - I cared about saving it and adding a very important piece to my collection (seeing I collect pre-1943 Luftwaffe).

The sling is a genuine Vz24 sling, slightly modified. It COULD be period correct. I could not bring myself to add a K98 sling to it ala Luftwaffe style, as it stretches the frosch strap at the front and you almost have to remove the leather at the rear of the frosch. Maybe one day if I find a worn old sling.

All I have done is give the wood a wipe with orange oil (it was VERY dusty and had paint spots on it from long term closet storage), and rust blued the left side of the barrel at the muzzle (someone in it's previous ownerships had removed rust and pits by sanding/filing the metal. I cleaned that up as best possible and rust blued it - it matches the colour of Steyr blue almost exactly).

The only non-G29Ö part now is the triggerguard (ANYONE got one??????) - I am using a nice Imperial Gew98 triggerguard for now (I also have an early Steyr K98 triggerguard, but it lacks the hole for the parade swivel of course, which is a prevalent feature of the G29Ö).

I like it - a LOT. I will do pictures of it in better light tomorrow - I took these near sundown.

Thanks again to all responsible for this one!

Attachments

• Finished23.JPG
    Finished23.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Finished25.JPG
    Finished25.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Finished28.JPG
    Finished28.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Finished32.JPG
    Finished32.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Finished36.JPG
    Finished36.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Finished42.JPG
    Finished42.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Finished47.JPG
    Finished47.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 99
And tomorrow, you get to see the out-of-the-closet DRP (Hannover marked) Banner K too :thumbsup:

Yeah, I realised that after I posted, but thought let it sit unless Ham or Mike want to move it to Contract rifles.

And thanks to that Wayne W guy too for being a sometimes-go between between myself and Mike C in going through Waffenstadt Truro's boxes and boxes and boxes of Steyr parts :)

What exactly makes the trigger guard so unique.??.

Milled, numbered, eagle 623 inspected AND with the hole in the front of the guard area for a parade sling (pretty much a vestigial feature on any post-WWI Mauser). Typical early Kar.98k Steyr triggerguards are similar but lack that extra hole.

Not unique, but the G29Ö uses the earlier style of triggerguard, coupled with Nazi inspection waffenamts (WaA623).

The floorplate is quite different to regular 98 floorplates - it has a spring "groove" across the middle of the plate internally (externally, it is standard 98)

Oh, how simple that would be Clint - problem is, when Steyr switched to K98 production, they did away with the "lump" in the front of the trigger guard bow altogether - a redundant lump.

So, not possible amigo - I have a VERY early Steyr K98 trigger guard, and it has no lump...

So, it wears the Imperial guard for now.

This model Mauser was the first WWII military Mauser I owned. A friend and I went down to the NMLRA in Friendship, in back in 1966 to snoop around. We were all over the place looking for Mausers. I looked at one Mauser briefly, but it did not fit the "text book" image I had in my mind as a 17 year-old. I was walking away from the vendor, and my buddy called me back over. It had Waffenamt stamps all over the stock, and all metal pieces----plus it was all matching, and had the original sling. Yeah, I gave the guy his $30 and took it home. Yeah, back then a 16 year old could buy a rifle, get not BGC, and walk out on the street with it. I still have it. I'll try to get some pictures of it and post them.

BTW, I have just signed up on the board, thanks to Hambone's recommendation. Don't have a lot of rifles and only three Mausers, but they are all matching and in decent shape.

Steve

Welcome Steve. Guys, Steve and I go back to about 1996 when I got a nice German tropical bluse and Luft. ground smock from him which I still have. He's a good guy. :thumbsup:

This model Mauser was the first WWII military Mauser I owned. A friend and I went down to the NMLRA in Friendship, in back in 1966 to snoop around. We were all over the place looking for Mausers. I looked at one Mauser briefly, but it did not fit the "text book" image I had in my mind as a 17 year-old. I was walking away from the vendor, and my buddy called me back over. It had Waffenamt stamps all over the stock, and all metal pieces----plus it was all matching, and had the original sling. Yeah, I gave the guy his $30 and took it home. Yeah, back then a 16 year old could buy a rifle, get not BGC, and walk out on the street with it. I still have it. I'll try to get some pictures of it and post them.

BTW, I have just signed up on the board, thanks to Hambone's recommendation. Don't have a lot of rifles and only three Mausers, but they are all matching and in decent shape.

Steve

welcome to the forum Steve.

:happy0180:

Added another piece to the puzzle today - a friend offered me an original K98 sling for $50. It is FAR from new, so I thought it would make a perfect Luftwaffe style sling for my G29Ö - and it did! It was stretched enough in the frosch loop to allow me to mount it correctly ala Luftwaffe.

Now, just to find a proper WaA623 triggerguard. I know one will eventually!

I LOVe this rifle - I have wated it for MANY MANY years, and whilst it may be a mutt, it's MY mutt built from correct mutt parts :laugh:

Military Rifle Journal
Back