Third Party Press

FJ use of .30 cal Browning - Late War

jhv 41

Here's one you don't see often:

Fallschirmjäger watching for allied traffic on Departmental Road 6 with a captured .30 Browning.

As a veteran of Fallschirmjäger Regiment 9 recalls,”There was an acute shortage of weapons and ammunition from 11.7.1944 onwards so we had to make do with recovered weapons in order to continue fighting.”

Departmental Road 6 ran between Saint-Lô and Saint-Clair-sur-l’Elle, more or less delineating the front for the newly reorganized German forces in the area between 7 and 10.7.1944.

fj with browning.jpg

Source: Fallschirmjager in France, Saint-Lô 1944, Saint-Clair-sur-l'Elle, Departmental Road 6, WWII History

looks like Normandy. Probably captured position. I'm sure they were sorely disappointed with it....

This is the second pic I've seen of FJ6 with a 1919 at Normandy. In the other pic they're shooting the 1919a4 backwards on the tripod, just like this pic. Propaganda? Guess I need to start looking for this pic. Please note it sure looks like fj trooper on right is wearing a piece of US GI parachute as a scarf.

Last edited:
Not surprising. By the summer of '44 the rail network in northern France was in shambles.

Parachute equipment bundles had been misdropped all over the Normandy area. I'm sure many fell into the wrong hands.

This is the second pic I've seen of FJ6 with a 1919 at Normandy. In the other pic they're shooting the 1919a4 backwards on the tripod, just like this pic. Propaganda? Guess I need to start looking for this pic.

This is probably the pic you were thinking of.

fj with browning1.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back