Third Party Press

Food For Thought

DaveDavis

My friend Charles Osborne has a great looking collection of German uniforms. All are quality reproductions.

As he said to me " they look good, I have never been screwed by paying a crazy sum for a fake, that was sold as original, and in 100 years my uniforms will be original ".

You really can not argue with his view on uniforms , or helmets, etc.

Take this example, it looks to be excellent for display, is certainly a bargain, and the average lay person would never know it was not real......

Frankly, given the crazy prices of original pieces, Charlie's idea has much merit.

The point about the effect of time on opinions about originality is a good one. I often hear people use the phrase "it came out of an old collection" as proof of originality. Well, a lot of the stuff we collect has been reproduced and faked since the day after the war ended.

Last edited:
The point about the effect on time on opinions about originality is a good one. I often hear people use the phrase "it came out of an old collection" as proof of originality. Well, a lot of the stuff we collect has been reproduced and faked since the day after the war ended.
Absolutely, as soon as the last round went down range post war copies were being produced for folks to bring home, as "WAR TROPHIES"....

The point about the effect on time on opinions about originality is a good one. I often hear people use the phrase "it came out of an old collection" as proof of originality. Well, a lot of the stuff we collect has been reproduced and faked since the day after the war ended.
My signature on here, that I used for years was something that I had overheard a dealer telling a prospective buyer at a militaria show.
It was as follows,
" I got this from a long-time dealer of German militaria many years ago. It was part of his collection, so you know it has to be real."
It worked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back