Third Party Press

Front sight question

birddogg

I have very little knowledge about the k98 and I am just starting to learn. My question is that I have a 1940 dated 660 that was in a sporterized stock. I would like to get this rifle back to as close to original configuration as I can. It has mismatch bolt so its not any prize winner, but I notice that the front sight does not have the slots for a hood. Sorry to bother on trivial questions, but I have not seen anything on this in the forum.

Attachments

• K98-1.jpg
    K98-1.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 36
  • K98-2 (2).jpg
    K98-2 (2).jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 36
  • K98-3 (1).jpg
    K98-3 (1).jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 33
The rifle was made before they started slotting the front sight bases for hoods. Many of these had slots added later but there were many that did not. Good luck with it!

Thanks for that info... I guess I don't have to go out and search for a hood at least. A stock will be my next focus. I might just put it in a Russian capture stock which I noticed at local gun shop and call it good.

Post a picture of the current stock. If it was just trimmed near the bands it can be salvaged with a donor stock.

Thanks for that info... I guess I don't have to go out and search for a hood at least. A stock will be my next focus. I might just put it in a Russian capture stock which I noticed at local gun shop and call it good.

You'd need a flat butt plate stock for you receiver. 660 was the early code for Steyr. But as 66coupe pointed out, you may be able to salvage your existing stock.

You'd need a flat butt plate stock for you receiver. 660 was the early code for Steyr. But as 66coupe pointed out, you may be able to salvage your existing stock.

The sporter stock is a late war stock and has the sling cutout all filled in. Someone filled it in and stained the stock a maroon color like something you would see on an sks. At least bubba didn't mess with the rest of the rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back