Third Party Press

G.41 duv43 - odd receiver hole

hatrick

I was getting something from the face if the closet and pulled out this G.41 barreled receiver I got long ago and was curious what the hole at the front of the receiver might be. It isn’t threaded and I don’t recall seeing it on other G.41’s. Any ideas?

1707088069296.jpeg

I've also never seen the hole like this on any G-41(W) rifles. I'm also interested to see what others think.

I’ll take more pics but the hole doesn’t go into the barrel at all. Just through the shroud.

Last edited:
Maybe someone used it in combination with the ZF41 rails to affix his (own made) scope mount to it.

So the inside is blank, what makes it obvious it isn't factory done. I repeat, I bet someone used the rails and added that hole to be able to fix his scope mount to the rifle.

The left side of the receiver is machined in a very strange, unusual way. I don't even know what kind of tool would leave this "non slip" pattern.

The left side of the receiver is machined in a very strange, unusual way. I don't even know what kind of tool would leave this "non slip" pattern.
Are you talking about the chatter marks between the flat where the model info is stamped and the rear sight?

My question is whether the inside of the cut is blued or bare steel? The images are so poorly focused plus the poor lighting makes it's hard to tell.
If it's blued the same as the receiver then there are period possibilities that shouldn't be too quickly dismissed.
If not, it was most likely drilled anytime post-war up until the most recent owner acquired it.

This is an excellent observation. None of the other examples in the reference are like this nor is my example nor is the opposite side of the receiver for that matter. They all have a grain that runs parallel to the scope rail (milled horizontally). How would this have been achieved?
The drilled hole almost appears to have been made prior the milling. Is the hole blued inside as JB asked above?
Edit:
Even the lower, rear part of the receiver has the vertical markings

Last edited:
This is an excellent observation. None of the other examples in the reference are like this nor is my example nor is the opposite side of the receiver for that matter. They all have a grain that runs parallel to the scope rail (milled horizontally). How would this have been achieved?
The drilled hole almost appears to have been made prior the milling. Is the hole blued inside as JB asked above?
You can see what looks like a very slightly raised burr around the hole, especially around the ~7-11 o clock positions and around the 2-3 o'clock positions. If the hole had been drilled prior to milling that burr wouldn't be there, and any burr would be on the inside of the hole instead.

I'm just squinting at the same photos as everyone else so don't take it as gospel, but from what I'm seeing I very much doubt the hole was drilled before the receiver was milled.

I had looked very closely at the inside of the hole after enlarging it to max. (Looking to see if it was blued.)

My perception/feeling was that it was not blued, and was done after the fact. IMHO.

*Worth what you paid for it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back