Third Party Press

G33/40 Pictures

Jonathan Severin

Picture 281.jpgPicture 282.jpgPicture 283.jpgPicture 284.jpgPicture 285.jpg
Hello Everyone,
Here are a few pictures of the G33/40 I recently bought.
It seems to be in good order and has been used post war by the Norwegian Police. I am very pleased with it.
I would also like to thank spentprimer, waffenmeister, 3371940, and everybody else for there very helpful and friendly advice.
Kindest regards Jonathan.

Looks nice. Seems like a lot of these later 945, 1940's show up with the post war Norwegian markings.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi, guys,

Please bear with me a minute and let me explain my problem. I am fairly new to this site, though not to an interest in Mausers. But for many years I have been involved in looking at guns, with a view to identification and evaluation. One area of interest has been faked and enhanced markings and finish, whether on a reproduction Colt 1851 being passed off as original, or a "cut and weld" M1 rifle with new Parkerizing being advertised as "like new." In the past several weeks, I have seen on here and one other site a bunch of G.33/40 and G.24(t) rifles for which some folks have paid a considerable sum of money. Admittedly, my eyeballs are getting old, just like me, and I may not be as clear-sighted as I used to be, but something doesn't seem right with this. Obviously, if any item can gain considerable value because of some mark or other characteristic, unscrupulous people will alter it to have that characteristic. But something I have seen recently seems odd.

For one thing, a large number of G.33/40's turning up all at once seems odd. It is like someone "finding" a cache of Colt Patersons. It also seems odd that those rifles all have a marking different from those I have seen, and which appears to have been Pantographed. Now it is possible that the manufacturer in 1940 or whenever, used a Pantograph, but it would be very unusual when such markings were normally stamped deeply into the steel before it was hardened. And I suspect most of the folks here don't know how to tell the markings apart. Further, some of those markings have font characteristics not consistent with those I have seen or with pictures of known genuine markings. Of course, stories can easily be made up to explain any inconsistencies in the guns or in their sudden appearance. Still, having dozens of good condition 1940-vintage rare rifles suddenly turn up at high prices would seem at best unusual; at worst, mass-production fraud.

So my problem is that when/if I try to mention my concerns, persons more experienced in Mausers than I point out the error of my ways and insist that there is no problem and that I am ignorant, something I readily concede. Am I wrong? Should I keep quiet? If someone paid good money for a fake, is it really my business? If it isn't a fake, am I justified in casting doubt on a gun I have not actually seen?

Those are my thoughts. I would appreciate yours.

Jim

I am quietly confident that all is good here, it has been used post war by the Norwegians as can be seen in the picture and I knew that, and what it meant before I got it. But it is a G33/40 with post war Norwegian use. Jonathan.

Looks like a very nice example, Jonathan! Congratulations.

Jim brings up many good points. Here's an article about the identification of faked 33/40 carbines:

http://www.qfpost.com/pages/g33-40/fakes/

I have no doubt that Jonathan's rifle is exactly what it appears to be, that is, a 33/40 that saw continued post war service. Would love to see pics of the underside of the heel of the stock as well as any markings inside of the stock's barrel channel.

Been looking for a nice 33/40 example for years but have never been able to find one!

Hi, tsmgguy,

The fake in that link is pretty crude and I doubt would fool anyone with any knowledge of the original. But the G.33/40 would not be a hard rifle to fake, especially when a junker sporterized Mauser costing a couple of hundred tops could be altered and sell for $3000+. That is a lot of incentive for fakery.

Hi, Jonathan,

Unless my old eyes deceive me the "G.33/40" in the original post does NOT have the thinned down left receiver rail like it should; it has the normal 98 Mauser receiver profile. If you don't know what I am talking about, some homework would be advisable.

Jim

Picture 313.jpgPicture 316.jpgPicture 317.jpgPicture 318.jpgPicture 319.jpg
Hello James,
I think you may well have spotted I am very much a beginner here!
So I have added a few more pictures, I still thinks it's ok.
Hello tsmgguy,
That's the one of the stock which matches the rifle, the bolt doesn't match.
Many thanks, Jonathan.

Thanks. That is correct. Out of the stock, the difference is obvious but in the previous plctures it looked like a regular 98 Mauser.

I still have doubts about a couple of others that have shown up, though.

Jim

Last edited:
Great matching example, Jonathan! Thanks for the additional photos. Wish I could find a G33/40 that nice!

James K,

It's just about impossible to fake the G33/40 receiver because of the raised humps around the stripper guide, which Jonathan's example has. All of the markings on his receiver appear just as they should.

There is almost no parts commonality between the G33/40 and the 98k. They can be faked, but not well.

Maybe not well, but there have been plenty of fakes made, and they didn't start yesterday.

I am not sure what you mean by "raised hump." The clip guide is not raised, parts of the rear bridge on the sides are cut away, yet another part of the lightening process. All those cuts can be easily duplicated by a good milling machine operator.

Jim

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back