Third Party Press

G43 and K43 Serial Numbers

ironmannf

Hello,
I've been thinking about purchasing either a G43 or K43 and see that a lot of these rifles on Gunbroker claiming to have all matching serial numbers. Upon review of the pictures, I noticed that some of the internal parts don't have stamped in numbers but engraved or maybe electric penciled. Can someone tell me if this type of marking is correct or not. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes, some internal parts on G/K43 rifles are electro-penciled. Gas tube, bolt guts, etc. It varies by manufacturer, so the best way to learn what's right is to look at the examples posted here. We have many BLM, Walther, and Gustloff examples on the forum.

They're not making more of them and even matching guns can have issues. It's always possible to find a seller who doesn't know what they have, but from a knowledgeable collector in a visible auction we have been north of $2K for awhile now. These are not starter guns and the situation with G41s is much the same only worse.

And then the fakery!

I have to ask...what is reasonable price range to pay for a matching G43 or K43 with or without a scope?
Genuine scopes and mounts depending on condition can run the cost of a gun all by themselves. Especially so with Wa214 mounts.

If thinking about getting into it, Darrin Weaver's books are recommended. The new edition is out and it is an excellent collector reference. People get bit because they don't know what "real" is supposed to look like.

The G43 has been on my bucket list for quite some time now and I'm dying to have one in my collection. I think I'm going to get that book because I don't know enough about these rifles and want to make sure that whatever I purchase is correct and wasn't messed with. I'm hoping not to spend over 5K for one and I've looking at some G43's with scopes on Gunbroker and they're asking between 7 and 8K for them, which seems too high for me. Am I being unrealistic at 5K or less? If someone can give me an idea on what a G43 should go for I would appreciate it.

$5K for original matching rifle with matching scope + mount + maybe accessories is not realistic at this time. Anyone who has that rig in this day-and-age knows exactly what they have and what they can get for it.

And anything that sought-after attracts fakes and overpriced stuff on GB with significant issues.

And know that if you find a rig worth owning, a bunch of other guys would want it too.

For scoped German WW2 military rifles, the demand far exceeds the supply. Like Lugers it is a difficult market to enter cold as a beginning collector in 2022. Not impossible, but difficult.

Thank you for getting back to me! I think that I have to either settle for something less (no scope, etc.) or pony up more cash. Ah what the heck...my wife won't be happy with me either way so maybe I'll just go for the gusto. lol

Thank you for getting back to me! I think that I have to either settle for something less (no scope, etc.) or pony up more cash. Ah what the heck...my wife won't be happy with me either way so maybe I'll just go for the gusto. lol

Just remember that if you're going to throw money at it, without putting in the time, then you might have to live with some bad buys if you go the auction route.

Your best bet are private sales from reliable known collectors with an inspection period.

I agree with you 100% and I do plan on getting some research material prior to making any purchases. I think I rather go the private route or to a gun show because at least there I can inspect the rifle prior to purchasing it as I had a bad experience on an auction with a seller that lied to me about a chamber on a rifle. Everything eventually turned out okay but it was a real hassle at that time. Thank you so much for you input. I truly appreciate you help!

They're not making more of them and even matching guns can have issues. It's always possible to find a seller who doesn't know what they have, but from a knowledgeable collector in a visible auction we have been north of $2K for awhile now. These are not starter guns and the situation with G41s is much the same only worse.

And then the fakery!
Matching guns haven’t been $2k for a looooong time. That’s multiple major mismatch territory.

Thanks, guys for all of the information! I definitely want to do my homework before purchasing something. I just saw this rifle on GB (item #949195491) can you guys give me your expert opinion on it? I would love to hear what you think about it as fellow collectors! Thank you so much!

The G43 has been on my bucket list for quite some time now and I'm dying to have one in my collection. I think I'm going to get that book because I don't know enough about these rifles and want to make sure that whatever I purchase is correct and wasn't messed with. I'm hoping not to spend over 5K for one and I've looking at some G43's with scopes on Gunbroker and they're asking between 7 and 8K for them, which seems too high for me. Am I being unrealistic at 5K or less? If someone can give me an idea on what a G43 should go for I would appreciate it.
No, not being unrealistic. But it will probably take that and maybe a little more, depending on rareity, condition, the seller, etc. That would be for a plane Jane rifle. If you want a genuine scope/mount set up (that is correct and matching) you are looking at around $10k (to start with) and probably north for a real matching one, if you can find one. Probably around $8k and up for a correct non-matching scope mount set up. Be careful in the hunt. Don’t get in a hurry to get one and check for things as so many of these have been jacked with. The stocks are the main thing that are a problem. So many of them have been sanded, shellacked, buffed, re-stamped….on and on. Very rarely, but sometimes, Gunbroker comes up with one out of the woodwork that is correct. And when they do, the feeding frenzy is on. A few years ago, I found a gorgeous K.43 ac45 d block (the last of the Walther rifles) on GB. I bid and bid, then it went too high (for that time it was a little high in price) and I let it go. These days, the price would have been just fine. I should have kept going, but for the time it was just too much for what I wanted to spend. It sure was a gorgeous rifle and had a rare sling on it too (it’s pic stickied on this site):

Before buying one, you need to constantly look (and re-look, and re-look, study and do more study) at a bunch of correct rifles to see the bad ones (rather ones that have been messed with). Especially look at stocks (stock wood mill marks, real proof stamps/serial numbers in the wood) and look at bolt carrier‘s numbers, machine marks as that will help you to see the messed with ones vs. correct ones.

Last edited:
Go with rough forged. Hitler’s Garand is good but rough forged is the updated version.
It is for sure. I have found that both are good for the library. I found that there’s stuff in “Hitler’s Garands” that’s not in “Rough Forged”. So, I’m keeping both.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys for all of the information! I definitely want to do my homework before purchasing something. I just saw this rifle on GB (item #949195491) can you guys give me your expert opinion on it? I would love to hear what you think about it as fellow collectors! Thank you so much!
That rifle has an aftermarket stock. The original was butchered up. Any Gustloff G.43 is a rare rifle, but that one is a re-done one. Probably a decent shooter, but too over priced for a shooter. Not one to get if you are trying to get a collector grade, correct rifle. It will take a lot of patience to find a true correct rifle. I will say this; to not have a correct rifle (no rifle at all in a collection) is way better than having one that was messed with and a regret in buying.

Last edited:
No, not being unrealistic. But it will probably take that and maybe a little more, depending on rareity, condition, the seller, etc. That would be for a plane Jane rifle. If you want a genuine scope/mount set up (that is correct and matching) you are looking at around $10k (to start with) and probably north for a real matching one, if you can find one. Probably around $8k and up for a correct non-matching scope mount set up. Be careful in the hunt. Don’t get in a hurry to get one and check for things as so many of these have been jacked with. The stocks are the main thing that are a problem. So many of them have been sanded, shellacked, buffed, re-stamped….on and on. Very rarely, but sometimes, Gunbroker comes up with one out of the woodwork that is correct. And when they do, the feeding frenzy is on. A few years ago, I found a gorgeous K.43 ac45 d block (the last of the Walther rifles) on GB. I bid and bid, then it went too high (for that time it was a little high in price) and I let it go. These days, the price would have been just fine. I should have kept going, but for the time it was just too much for what I wanted to spend. It sure was a gorgeous rifle and had a rare sling on it too (it’s pic stickied on this site):

Before buying one, you need to constantly look (and re-look, and re-look, study and do more study) at a bunch of correct rifles to see the bad ones (rather ones that have been messed with). Especially look at stocks (stock wood mill marks, real proof stamps/serial numbers in the wood) and look at bolt carrier‘s numbers, machine marks as that will help you to see the messed with ones vs. correct ones.
Thank you for the advice! I trying not to be in a rush to buy a g43 because I want to do more homework on them prior to purchasing one but at the same time I don’t want to pass up something that’s a good deal either. To be honest, the only thing that keeps me for spending my money on a rifle is that I’m cheap as hell. Lol

I'm in the same place as you, ironmann. A fledgling collector looking to get into German weapons. I bought Rough Forged and it is a very good read for someone starting from nothing. There's a lot for me to learn even after reading the books so I'm taking my time to research more before committing to buying one. This is an expensive hobby to partake in though, saving up for a K43 is going to take a while.

Military Rifle Journal
Back