Third Party Press

G98 in a G98M or K98b Stock or...?

OnlyMil

Hello all, I was recently visiting an uncle of mine who has an extensive surplus collection that he collected about 20 years ago now. I was reviewing a 1918 Mauser Gewehr 98 when I noticed that it appears to have a G98M or Kar98b stock on a rifle that is all G98 parts. The rear sights are the roller-coaster type. However, none of the parts match except the barrel and receiver. The receiver has a patina to it, but does not appear to have been refinished or blued. Same with the bolt, the unexposed parts of the bolt were in the white. There is only a single 1918 stamp. No 1920 stamp. The wood is in superb condition. Cartouches are very prominent. Curious about any thoughts on this piece. Especially when it comes to the stock, the hand grooves just shouldn't be there!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 22
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 32
The rifle is one that was sent to the Turks during WW1 as war aid, which is indicated by the crescent moon stamp on top of the receiver. They are today mostly mismatched like this one. The stock might be from a Gew 98m, but not a Karab. 98b. It does have the wider lower band seen on some of the later Gew 98m upgrades. The original Gew 98 stock would have a takedown and grasping grooves like yours. Those features were both in place by 1918. Impossible to say when the stock and lower band got added to this rifle for certain, but likely a more recent addition. Might also be just the lower band and bandspring replaced at some point rather than entire stock.

Last edited:
Ah so that is what that mark is on the receiver! Is that suffice to say that the grasping grooves were standard in 1918? I was just under the impression that the grasping grooves came along with the new rear sight and such. Thank you for your help! It is in very good condition for being a Turk, the stock cartouches especially.

Typically WMO (Mauser) and Danzig started to use Latin-Roman character earlier than most firms or arsenals, it could be the original stock, but I would have to run the trends whether this is possible on this rifle-range, or I should say "probable" - as anything is nearly "possible" when it comes to such calculations.

It should be said that this would be just as easily solved by looking at the interior (or exterior) serial number.

The stock is highly unlikely original (WMO applied), very possible (probable) that it is Danzig, probably 1917. Walnut stocks run pretty strong Danzig-1917 in some ranges (less so with WMO), though beech predominate, add to the fact (observation anyway) that grips and TD are pretty universal with Danzig throughout 1917 (this is also true of WMO, but so much of what survives of WMO/1917 is Turked this is more difficult to have much certainty over)

Anyway, my "guess" is the stock is "probably" off a Danzig/17, but without the wrist and lower acceptance this is a very subjective calculated guess.

Thank you for your insight!! Very informative. It's of no consequence to me, as the rifle is a mix-master no if-ands-or buts about it. I was just curious as to whether or not the configuration was correct for a 1918 Gewehr 98 (regardless of manufacture), and the grasping grooves stood out to me as possibly G98M. Was not aware these were added during wartime also. You all have been of great help!

Military Rifle Journal
Back