Third Party Press

German WW2 8mm Mauser Machine Gun Ammo

ncsammy

I have a few 15 round boxes of German WW2 8mm Mauser ammo. Two of the boxes are stamped fur MG. I recall from many years back that these were not to be used in the 98k because they were supposed to higher velocity/pressure. Can anyone verify this? Thanks.

Sam

"fur MG"

Same loading pressures as unmarked or i.l. (clips)marked boxes. (-V- marked loadings are higher velocity/pressure) . Orders were sent for so many cases of 7,9 rounds for rifles, so many cases for MGs (no clips, loose packed), etc. Plants would remove ammo from clips or add clips if needed to meet demands of field commanders. Early on, each box might be marked, then just sleeves/and 1500 round case labels, and finally, just the repacked case labels. So it is not unusual to find boxes marked i.L. with no chargers or vice versa.The early lacquered cases gave extraction trouble in rifles and CWS cases were reserved for rifles for a time, with many lacquered loads being marked "fur mg" but the improved and waxed st+ cases ended that practice. JH

I took a round out of a box I got(lacquered/sans clips) and ran it through the chrono.....2480..

Nothing extraordinary about that velocity wise or recoil wise either.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back