Third Party Press

GEW 88 unit marking identification?

Phantom Man

I am looking for a bit of help deciphering this original to rifle band unit markings. It is from an original configuration, mostly matching save for bolt.
Any help would be appreciated, Sean

Attachments

• 20211203_140816.jpg
    20211203_140816.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The Fraktur L is usually for 'Lehr'. There was a Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment, but I don't think there was a Lehr Brigade though.

The Fraktur L is usually for 'Lehr'. There was a Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment, but I don't think there was a Lehr Brigade though.
I have one Marked (fraktur) "L" then O.p. -- Craig Brown attributed it to a Landssturm infantry unit in Opeln

Just an educated guess that this would be the same for the town/city of Brilon (only place with a Bri i could think of)

You are probably right. Bri makes more sense as a city. Should have thought of that.

Looking through a list of Landssturm Battalions, there was one formed in Brieg (near Breslau) and another in Briesen (near Danzig). Nothing in Brilon, but the list is probably incomplete.

You are probably right. Bri makes more sense as a city. Should have thought of that.

Looking through a list of Landssturm Battalions, there was one formed in Brieg (near Breslau) and another in Briesen (near Danzig). Nothing in Brilon, but the list is probably incomplete.
I believe we've got the answer. Armee Corp Danzig.
XVII.1 – Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Briesen

Military Rifle Journal
Back