Third Party Press

Gew 98 Sniper

Tony65

Hi folks, I am a new member and this is my first post.

I have found a Gew 98 sniper, but I am not 100% certain of the scope mount.
I know there were a load of different mounting systems, but just wanted to ask your views on this or perhaps where I can get more info. I have the Senich and Ball books and can't see anything like the one on this rifle.
In Richard D Laws book a photo shows a Gew 98 converted to a sniper in the Weimar era which is similar, but not the same as the one I have found.
It says, it is probably a mount developed for hunting.
The rifle itself is a beauty with all matching numbers including the scope, although this looks to have been renumbered to match the rifle.
The mount has '23' stamped on the inner surfaces of both the fixed and removable sections.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Gew 98 #1.jpg
    Gew 98 #1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 59
  • gew 98 #2.jpg
    gew 98 #2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Gew 98 #3.jpg
    Gew 98 #3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Gew 98 #4.jpg
    Gew 98 #4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 69
Hi Flynaked,

Thanks for the update.
Please don't take offence, but can you be certain of this?
Do you have, or can you direct me to where I can find, a photo or advert showing this.
I have contacted EAW (based on your suggestion) and they don't think it's one of theirs.
The reason I ask is that I want to show some evidence that this is not what 'we' think it is. That is the guy selling and the guy buying (me).
As you can imagine, a genuine Gew 98 sniper is a not a budget rifle.

Kind regards and greatest respect.

T.

Both of those links are different than the one pictured on his rifle, note the top one has different levers and the bottom has an angled ring split, not 50/50. I could very well be wrong on the EAW aspect, but don’t forget the retailer AKAH purchased items from different makers.

Also regardless of this point, the mount is almost certainly postwar and the rifle a put together. Here’s a picture of the later EAW mount with the angled ring split as well. You might look into G&H, Jäger etc as they made mounts of this style, I can’t remember all the manufacturing details off the top of my head though.

Attachments

• FBDF64EF-3B8B-43B3-B51F-3FD946C88AD5.jpeg
    FBDF64EF-3B8B-43B3-B51F-3FD946C88AD5.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 19
The pics rang a dusty old bell in my head when I saw them, recalled looking at these 10 years ago or so. Tough to analyze the pics on a phone though, good info. Cheers

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your time and insight in helping me with this.
It's a shame as this is a really nice rifle in it's own right and I so wanted it to be the real deal.
I've backed away from buying it and discussed with the vendor my reasons for doing so.
I will still continue to research and find a good, solid example one day.

Best regards and good luck.

T.

Military Rifle Journal
Back