Third Party Press

Gew 98 Two Piece Stocks

The only reference I have concerning the WW I production of Gew 98 two piece stocks in in the two volume set of International Armament published in 1965 by Interarmco on page 387 in volume I. It states during WW I some buttstocks were made in two pieces, fitted together with a longitudinal dovetail joint and this saved wood by allowing stocks to be made from narrower blanks. I have obtained an Amberg with a two piece stock. Now the confusion begins with the issue of a duffle cut rifle situation. I have never seen a WW I duffle cut rifle because probably there were none or limited restrictions that I know about with bringing rifles back. Anyway, I have one vet bring back Gew 98 Amberg that I have with a two piece stock, can I get some feedback on this issue? I took pictures of this rifle but I am have problems in posting them now as I am low tech. I will obtain help to post them.

Last edited:
It might have been cut if it was brought back in WW2.
I have a WW2 bring back with a WW2 bolt. I don't think mine was cut but they did bring them back in WW2..

Ptrobably WW2 bringback; the Germans never did get around to converting all their WWI-vintage G98s with Lange sight to the G98M configuration.

There are plenty of WWI duffel cut Gewehrs, I have at least three right now. Most duffel cuts are not so far forward like yours, but I've seen them cut there before (like on the rifle that TA posted). That particular cut could be a WWII thing... but I'm not sure about that, seems unlikely. Also seems unlikely to me that a Gew could make it back from WWII without ever being EWB or otherwise stamped and still have its Lange Visiers, but stranger things have happened and the Bavarians did hide away a lot of Ambergs.

I don't think your Amberg has a actual two piece stock though, at least I don't see the tell-tale line running down the side of the butt. This reworked Spandau has a two piece stock, see the difference in the wood.

Now the confusion begins with the issue of a duffle cut rifle situation. I have never seen a WW I duffle cut rifle because probably there were none or limited restrictions that I know about with bringing rifles back. Anyway, I have one vet bring back Gew 98 Amberg that I have with a two piece stock, can I get some feedback on this issue?

Attachments

• 14_spandau_p.JPG
    14_spandau_p.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 14_spandau_j.JPG
    14_spandau_j.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 44
There are plenty of WWI duffel cut Gewehrs, I have at least three right now. Most duffel cuts are not so far forward like yours, but I've seen them cut there before (like on the rifle that TA posted). That particular cut could be a WWII thing... but I'm not sure about that, seems unlikely. Also seems unlikely to me that a Gew could make it back from WWII without ever being EWB or otherwise stamped and still have its Lange Visiers, but stranger things have happened and the Bavarians did hide away a lot of Ambergs.

I don't think your Amberg has a actual two piece stock though, at least I don't see the tell-tale line running down the side of the butt. This reworked Spandau has a two piece stock, see the difference in the wood.

Yes, I agree with you that Gew. 98s brought back from WW II had more of a chance of being duffle cut than during WW I. I guess the big question is where to get more documentation on the Gew. 98 two piece stocks made during WW I.

Dr. Dieter Storz, Rifle & Carbine 98 is the best reference to anything Gewehr 98 related. Its not cheap but is available at many gun shows. Two piece stocks are most often seen on 1918 Ambergs and late war armorers stocks, but recently on here there was a 1916 DWM with a two piece stock (and if I remember correctly there have been a few '16 DWMs with two piece stocks reported).

Duffel Cuts are not uncommon for WWI Gews, but many Gews that made it back were either bond Gews with plugged barrels or simply had their firing pins clipped.

Yes, I agree with you that Gew. 98s brought back from WW II had more of a chance of being duffle cut than during WW I. I guess the big question is where to get more documentation on the Gew. 98 two piece stocks made during WW I.

Two piece stocks tend to be mostly found on 1917-1918 arsenal made rifles. Danzig, Erfurt, and Amberg in particular, they are not commonly found though.

As PM stated, we know of 2 1916/DWM's with two piece stocks (s & bb blocks), and another is reported and the stock imaged (do not know the range). DWM seems the first to have used them, they are factory stocks, and DWM was interesting during 1916 regarding its stock usage.

They must have had a large inventory of stocks on hand, you see a good number of walnut, and the grips do not show up as regularly in 1916 as it does for other makers. Take down's usually do not show up very often in 1916 anyway, but DWM seems later than others in every respect. Obviously it wasn't any deficiency regarding the company, as they were the premier manufacturer at the time, so I can only explain it as having large inventories they were working through.

Military Rifle Journal
Back