Third Party Press

Help with Value of Gewehrfabrik sporting rifle?

Jtan50

This rifle was left to me by my Grandfather. I believe he was just buying a good quality hunting rifle. He had very short arms so the stock was shortened to fit him. A Packmeyer tip off scope mount with a Weaver KV scope was installed at some point. I had the stock lengthened and the rifle re-blued and I have hunted deer with it. At that time I thought it was built as a hunting rifle and not a military conversion. Doing research on the internet I identified it as Gewehrfabrik 98 8x57 js hunting rifle with 8xx serial number. The reciver was drilled and taped for scope bases when the rifle was made but what scope bases fit.
I would like to find out its approximate value as the re blueing and the stock modification lower its value.

This rifle was left to me by my Grandfather. I believe he was just buying a good quality hunting rifle. He had very short arms so the stock was shortened to fit him. A Packmeyer tip off scope mount with a Weaver KV scope was installed at some point. I had the stock lengthened and the rifle re-blued and I have hunted deer with it. At that time I thought it was built as a hunting rifle and not a military conversion. Doing research on the internet I identified it as Gewehrfabrik 98 8x57 js hunting rifle with 8xx serial number. The reciver was drilled and taped for scope bases when the rifle was made but what scope bases fit.
I would like to find out its approximate value as the re blueing and the stock modification lower its value.
With the refinishing and aftermarket modifications, the value will really not be that much. Maybe a few hundred bucks. My suggestion would be if it has sentimental value hold on to it because you will not get rich by selling.

My grandfathers rifle is different. It has a 3 digit serial number, double set triggers, a better overall metal finish before it was re blued and a more refined stock. The rifle shown in the link looks to be a converted military rifle. My Grandfathers rifle is different. I think the scope mounts drill pattern is different I will check that out..

Thanks for your replies

It doesn't matter much if three or four digit serial number since this just means earlier or later production. These are small ring action rifles which were made commercially post WWI by Gewehrfabrik Danzig. Could you confirm your rifle is identically marked with "Gewehrfabrik Danzig" on the side of the receiver and is a small ring action? The rifle in the link btw is not a converted military but a fully commercial rifle. If you bother to read the post too you'll notice that this rifle once had a double set trigger too, just that it later was replaced with a single one stage trigger again.

Thanks for responding to my post. I have attached photos of my rifle taken in low light conditions. I will retake in better light. If I read the text right it said that the cheek piece was glued on but can't find a glue line on mine. The bore is bright and shiny. Is the barrel just a standard K98 barrel? To the best of my recollection ( 40 years ago ) the metal work had a smooth finish before re blueing. What do they call the insert that is in the forearm? What original scope mounts did they use on these sporting rifles?

Thanks Absolut for all the help

Attachments

• mauser1.JPG
    mauser1.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P1090003.JPG
    P1090003.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1090004.JPG
    P1090004.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1090006.JPG
    P1090006.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 20
  • P1090007.JPG
    P1090007.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 19
  • P1090008.JPG
    P1090008.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P1090005.JPG
    P1090005.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 21
My rifle once had a cheekpad, but this was NOT factory. As is the buttplate on my rifle.

Your rifle was seriously altered. It originally had fitted the same scope mount as on my rifle. Then someone removed these and must have used a side scope mount for which he altered the stock to accomodate the base. Then this was removed again and a peep sight was added to the receiver bridge at the rear. Additionally the buttplate is not original and it is missing parts, such as the "Querriegel" (maybe best translated as kind of "cross pin"; this is what you name "insert in the forearm"). Finally your rifle is also missing the original rear sight that was dovetailed to the barrel, as well as the sling swivels.

As already mentioned, I think $ 300 is fairly priced for the condition it is in.

[Linking @PJB so he can add your rifle to his serial listing of Danzig rifles]

Thanks Absolute:
I will look for the missing parts if I can find my spare parts box.
Have you found any surplus ammo that is accurate. I am thinking about shooting it at a 200 yard hunting rifle match at my local club. I will need to check its accuracy before as I don't want to make a fool of myself. I think the best choice would be Norma target but don't want to spend $50 a box, any suggestions?

Military Rifle Journal
Back