Third Party Press

Horster double date

AlexMG

I would like to share one of my items.
It's 84/98 bayonet in very good condition, made by Horster with double date (43/44 asw) and "not matching" numbers.
I don't know, but I think, this is factory error.
Any opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 41
IMHO, this piece is likely a factory original. Strong stamping of the serial numbers and alpha character on the scabbard. Numbers "1" & the last "2" are faint on the bayonet. My suspicion is the bayonet before it was marked correctly (1822 | u) and wrong stamp was used twice, so there were two "1822 | u" bayonets. Because of a lite strike, the error was missed or ignored. As many of these Horster 43/44 are found, yours is in excellent condition and do not see the "mismatch" as detracting from either collector interest or value.

Last edited:
I believe this could be caused by GIs when capturing the pieces, as 2 with 3 is hard to mistakly, so i personally would tend to find by GIs and mixing condition in 1944/5, as majority of the 43/44 asw pieces are matched. There were found even consecutive numbers, so it came from one or few boxes.

I doubt it was GIs if they were completed they would have already been placed into proper scabbard. Odds are more likely factory mismatch due to condition. I feel like a lot of these 43/44 asws have light strikes I will have to look at mine to compare. Has anyone ever actually detetmined when the 43/44 ASW run occured? Was it just late 43 pieces got a 44 scabbard? Or could have possibly happened some time later in 44? How do 44 A Block bayonets compare to late 43 as far as production characteristics?

Has anyone ever actually detetmined when the 43/44 ASW run occured? Was it just late 43 pieces got a 44 scabbard? Or could have possibly happened some time later in 44?

These bayonets were produced in the summer 1944. Evidence suggests that the 44asw bayonet stamping dies were worn-out or damaged and the older 43asw dies were pressed into service and then mated with matching 44asw scabbards. Bayonets used a different stamping die than those of the scabbard. The 43/44asw pieces are part of the normal 1944 production but for the markings. There is a smooth continuous transition of 44asw from the no letter to late o block (early standard series) where the 43/44asw (dual date series) begins. From there, all pieces are marked 43/44asw until early in the w block when the 44asw (late standard series) begins. No standard series 44asw have been reported/confirmed within the o to w 43/44asw dual date range. One might assume that the 44asw dies for the bayonets were received and utilized immediately. The 43/44asw dual date series consists of approximately 70.000 pieces most probably manufactured from late June to early August 1944. Production was not linear but Hörster was finishing nearly 40.000 bayonets each month during this period. Hope this helps .....

These bayonets were produced in the summer 1944. Evidence suggests that the 44asw bayonet stamping dies were worn-out or damaged and the older 43asw dies were pressed into service and then mated with matching 44asw scabbards. Bayonets used a different stamping die than those of the scabbard. The 43/44asw pieces are part of the normal 1944 production but for the markings. There is a smooth continuous transition of 44asw from the no letter to late o block (early standard series) where the 43/44asw (dual date series) begins. From there, all pieces are marked 43/44asw until early in the w block when the 44asw (late standard series) begins. No standard series 44asw have been reported/confirmed within the o to w 43/44asw dual date range. One might assume that the 44asw dies for the bayonets were received and utilized immediately. The 43/44asw dual date series consists of approximately 70.000 pieces most probably manufactured from late June to early August 1944. Production was not linear but Hörster was finishing nearly 40.000 bayonets each month during this period. Hope this helps .....

Great information. Thank You

As already mentioned by Slash, this is a 1944 production, from dbase, i have 69 samples reported in u range of 43/44asw, the missmatched pieces i have in this range reported only 2pcs, from this i assume is clear that these bayonets were found in depots, never used, as there would be minimum 30% of missmatched pieces when used and found in fields or by captured soldiers. When You look at rifle slot, there is no wear of adding on rifle. Other point is that this range is on 95% reported only by US collectors, i never saw similar 43/4asw in u, ever from majority of other ranges in east europe, so these bayonets went to west, probably found by US Gis in period of late 1944, or not delivered to units and found directly in Solingen by makers.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back