Third Party Press

How NOT to repair a G41w duffel bag cut…and WHY

ncsammy

When I first got this duffel cut G41w many years ago, I thought someday I’d take a crack at repairing it. Well, someday recently came. After carefully inspecting it, I got the following news:

• The bad: There is no way to do a k98 type repair of the cut because the cleaning rod channel is not completely enclosed in the wood and can be seen from the bottom, so the use of a ¼ inch tube in the rod channel isn’t feasible. Also, the mating surfaces of the wood are too small to drill holes for dowels to join the two pieces;

• The (sort of) good: The front end of the rifle is configured such that the front of the cut forend rests against the rear of the barrel flange that holds the gas cylinder, and when the pieces are assembled with the barrel bands and cleaning rod in place, there is no play whatsoever in the forend. The only thing I had to do was put a very thin shim the width of the saw cut between the back of the forend and the stock.

I never fired this gun and, like most of my collectible military rifles, I don’t ever intend to, so I’m not concerned about the forend staying in place under actual use.

Sam

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 107
• The bad: There is no way to do a k98 type repair of the cut because the cleaning rod channel is not completely enclosed in the wood and can be seen from the bottom, so the use of a ¼ inch tube in the rod channel isn’t feasible. Also, the mating surfaces of the wood are too small to drill holes for dowels to join the two pieces;

Very nice looking rifle. I have one just like it with a separated fore arm and it's held in place just the way you described it. I'm shooting mine this way and it hasn't come apart yet.

It can be joined with dowel pins. It's a lot of work, though.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...e-Mighty-Walther&p=76457&viewfull=1#post76457

Nice looking rifle and don't down yourself too much on that duffle cut not many people can say they have a matching G41 in their collection. I myself would love too own a piece like this but I don't find many G41 come up for sale. The ones that do either have problems, way too much asking price, mismatched, or bubba got too them.

I've had all of my duffle cuts on a broad range of rifles repaired by J.J. Perodeau, of Champlin Firearms. They had been in Enid, OK but have since moved to Sand Springs, in the Tulsa area. Prior to using J.J. I experienced promising results from others which typically came apart after a few rounds. In one case with a split stock on a high condition prewar 98K, when it was returned I had difficulty finding where the crack had been, finish and cartouches were unmarred. He's a Belgian gunsmith trained in Europe who is meticulous and popular throughout the antique gun trade. He's also very busy so it can take a month or two. He is a true master of the art.

I never fired this gun and, like most of my collectible military rifles, I don’t ever intend to, so I’m not concerned about the forend staying in place under actual use.

Sam

best line I read all week

nice work

Military Rifle Journal
Back