Third Party Press

How to determine if mounts are original or reproduction.

RHA

Picked up an auction lot that included this pair.
Rear has been filed on a bit, but otherwise in good condition.

Every Google search I tried was filled with links for reproductions.
Almost forgot. What dimension do I need to measure to determine if these are high or low mounts?

Attachments

• 20191031_145555.jpg
    20191031_145555.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20191031_145350.jpg
    20191031_145350.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20191031_145437.jpg
    20191031_145437.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 81
Those are HT Bases . They look promising and may possibly be original . You will need to post more pics showing all Sides and Top & Bottom views would also be helpful to determine if they are Original or Repro . I do not see a 135 proof on Rear Base is this correct ??

Last edited:
I agree with Dave, need to see better pictures but I am liking the front base so far. Check out the turret section on my website which is in my signature. I have detailed pictures of high turret bases for you to compare.

Those are HT Bases . They look promising and may possibly be original . You will need to post more pics showing all Sides and Top & Bottom views would also be helpful to determine if they are Original or Repro . I do not see a 135 proof on Rear Base is this correct ??

Only mark I saw is shown in the pic.
I have pics of all sides. Am I looking for anything specific?

Bases were zip tied to a WWI era scope with claw type rings. Obvious (but not to auctioneer) that they were not correct for scope.

I would vote towards Sauer HT bases since you mention there is no 135 acceptance on rear scope base. They look original to me too. Only bad thing is someone touched the rear scope base with a file at the left front portion. Nevertheless, you made a good buy!

I would vote towards Sauer HT bases since you mention there is no 135 acceptance on rear scope base. They look original to me too. Only bad thing is someone touched the rear scope base with a file at the left front portion. Nevertheless, you made a good buy!

After scrolling through the examples and details at mdarnell19's page, I came to the same conclusion.

Your last statement leads to the inevitable question. What are they worth?

Value is tough to estimate , I have sold Sets like this for well over $600 . Someone that needs a set may pay double what I have mentioned or they may not . I also believed looking at them they were likely Sauer not just because of not having 135 proof mark on Rear but also the bluing it has the look of Sauer . IMO I would certainly say there Worth no less than $500 and as high as $800 or more to someone who needs them for the restoration of a Sauer HT .

I have an almost identical loose base set with screws, no Wa135 on the rear, same finish.

There is an upper case "H" in the bottom of the "pot" of the front base and the typical "WR" proof in front.

Value will be one of two things, like Dave said - a guy that needs a set will pay more, less so I imagine for someone stocking parts.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Value is tough to estimate , I have sold Sets like this for well over $600 . Someone that needs a set may pay double what I have mentioned or they may not . I also believed looking at them they were likely Sauer not just because of not having 135 proof mark on Rear but also the bluing it has the look of Sauer . IMO I would certainly say there Worth no less than $500 and as high as $800 or more to someone who needs them for the restoration of a Sauer HT .

Thank you for the information. Will probably list them for sale here once I make sure of the rules to do so.

I am a Mauser collector of a different stripe. I am generally looking for rifles that Bubba has already visited.

My interest is in building custom Mauser sporters but I am also a huge history addict. I try my best to learn before taking anything apart. I have many actions and a bunch of parts, so it is always better to move rifles/actions/parts of interest to collectors and restorers. (I have boxes of cut, files and sanded milsurp Mauser stocks if anyone is interested..... :laugh: )

Sites like this (and books recommended0 have taught me enough to recognize when ask a question. I knew immediately WHAT these were, but not the details that I asked about.

Thank you all for the help.

Military Rifle Journal
Back