Third Party Press

Its been a good run - Vol.1 sold out

Just bought the last new one available on Ebay. I need to order part two of volume b, but I have ordered enough books this week as I preordered roughly foraged yesterday.

I just still don’t get why there’s a whole page on the stg44????

:thumbsup:

The excellent part is the authors were more concerned with getting it right than themselves. Thus it was truly an international K98k effort and the quality of the work reflects that. Again, I don’t see another K98k reference work in our lifetimes. It’s been more than covered.

Thanks on the insight on the total numbers. Also interesting to hear that so many went to dealers (I assume you mean book dealers/those who retail the books, not dealers who use them to research the guns they get in?). I bought myself three times all three volumes - one for the office, one for at home and one as spare.

Thanks for the effort, though my interests changed slightly they still are a welcome source for knowledge or if I want to drool over some exquisite photography of K98ks. I treasure my matched set.

I just still don’t get why there’s a whole page on the stg44????

Finally, "Deputy" rears his head!! LOL. This is like an inside joke - for those that don't know, if you read the Amazon reviews there is a guy who came here complaining that the book had 1 page on STG44's and totally trashed all of our books (at the time just Vol.1 and 3) in review because he got roasted here, his name was Deputy.

To answer some other questions - when I say dealers, I do mean book dealers. One thing I've learned about the book business, people just won't find your books if they don't do forums. We never advertised. That's why Collector Grade Publications does well, they had a huge distribution network. We "suffered" due to that in sales volume, but we were happy enough. We have some awesome dealers who buy/sell our books and we appreciate all of them.

Slash - True, I have said we had to limit the size due to the amount of information. While there are some documents left unpublished (I have a LOT, so does Bruce), many are duplicates or just senseless. We may do a document dump one day, but there isn't much info we missed from them. For instance, I have page after page of what the Germans call "Preisliste" documents. Instead of publishing every one, we picked a few cool ones. Another abbreviation: for each maker we could have gotten way more detailed on variations and sub variations, small markings, barrel code progressions, Stock shaping details. There are so many aspects that if you really wanted to you could write a 300 page book on byf 41-43 marked rifles alone, but it would be so confusing and detailed the subject would be lost I think. We had to generalize with some things to make the books readable, with 10 sub variations of byf41 (have you seen the P.38 book?). We never pulled back so hard on the size as to lose good coverage though.

I remember that review. I like the Amazon reviews that give 0 stars, item arrived damaged, lol.

I've said it here before, I am incredibly impressed with the authors. I can't imagine writing a book like this one. Most of us would struggle to write one page at this level of quality, especially if it involved a history lesson of a manufacturer, etc.

The books addicted me to K98s, not the other way around!! I learned so much,

1. i have 30 years in manufacturing and reducing cost through rationalizing the product.
2. I was stationed in Germany for 3 years and toured it a lot and know a lot of Germany locations which tied in with the readings.
3. I was a gun collector before reading these books , this made it worse.

The books touched me on #1 and #2 because of my background.... never had a research book connect so well.

Thank you for your efforts! I addicted Welder1 with his own purchase of the set as well.

Mike, you said at one time in a post you were going to do an update. Is that still the case? or are you both moving on?

Tom

Karabiner Addendum

Lance, there is a planned addendum of which we have done considerable prep on.
Stephan in Germany has done an outstanding job compiling data and historical background material for the Kriegsmarine.
This will be included in the follow up edition.

We also will add numerous interesting examples which were reported after the publication of Volume II.

Once I finally go part time at my job staring in January 2021, this last project will really get started.

Basically any material or examples which are pertinent to the entire work will be included.

B.

Stephan in Germany has done an outstanding job compiling data and historical background material for the Kriegsmarine.

We also will add numerous interesting examples which were reported after the publication of Volume II.

Once I finally go part time at my job staring in January 2021, this last project will really get started.

Basically any material or examples which are pertinent to the entire work will be included.

B.

That is awesome news.:hail:

B.

Thanks Bruce, much appreciated and glad to hear. Was hoping to hear that this might be forthcoming. Also thought there might be some new or updated information from the Kriegsmodell book research that could be included. You guys have done great work.

Sneak preview of addendum material

Guys here is one example of material that will be included in the addendum.
One of Jon Speeds contacts purchased this photograph in a European auction.
Short summary is that a train was circulating around Germany in early 1943 to
inform technical and engineering trade groups of developments in weapons production.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 49
Guys here is one example of material that will be included in the addendum.
One of Jon Speeds contacts purchased this photograph in a European auction.
Short summary is that a train was circulating around Germany in early 1943 to
inform technical and engineering trade groups of developments in weapons production.

Wow, very cool

Bruce, if you'd want/need it, I could throw in some material on sniper rifles and production numbers that I have came across .. PM or e-mail me if any interest.

Military Rifle Journal
Back