Third Party Press

JP Sauer 44 sniper?

Just trying to figure out a rifle I just got. All the serial numbers appear to be the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 90
Glad you made it here! I'm not sniper expert, but the first big issue is that the very few examples that are believed to be real are all from the 'U' block of production. Since yours is a 'K' block its quite a bit earlier and therefore not in the right serial range.

So do you thinks its not real?
Glad you made it here! I'm not sniper expert, but the first big issue is that the very few examples that are believed to be real are all from the 'U' block of production. Since yours is a 'K' block its quite a bit earlier and therefore not in the right serial range.

Some closer photos of the lock, mount, and optic would be ideal.

That being said, the fact that its a k block really kills much hope of it being original.

Hey again, one of the sniper experts should hopefully chime in, but from what I mentioned on Reddit, and as Hale said, the only known original examples of these are in the U block. There are a lot more reproductions of this type of sniper variant than there are originals, and I'm 99% sure this is a recreation.

The rifle itself looks correct, but someone altered the stock and added a mount to accept the scope. Does this take away from the value of the rifle as a matching example by itself? I'm unsure. Does it add value? I'm unsure there also. If the scope alone is original, then that holds a $500-$600 value by itself.

Hey again, one of the sniper experts should hopefully chime in, but from what I mentioned on Reddit, and as Hale said, the only known original examples of these are in the U block. There are a lot more reproductions of this type of sniper variant than there are originals, and I'm 99% sure this is a recreation.

The rifle itself looks correct, but someone altered to stock and added a mount to accept the scope. Does this take away from the value of the rifle as a matching example by itself? I'm unsure. Does it add value? I'm unsure there also. If the scope alone is original, then that holds a $500-$600 value by itself.
Ill take more photos when I get home.

The rifle itself looks correct, but someone altered to stock and added a mount to accept the scope. Does this take away from the value of the rifle as a matching example by itself? I'm unsure. Does it add value? I'm unsure there also. If the scope alone is original, then that holds a $500-$600 value by itself.
I was bought from Rock Island auction around three years ago.

The Sauer Swept back is the rarest sniper rifle of WWII. I would be willing to bet that yours is not original. Even the one in the thread that Hale posted is not known 100% to be original. These were late war prototypes and there is very little known about them since we can't compare known authentic examples. I personally would never buy one as original.

And if your rifle was an original matching base rifle and someone added the scope and base to it then it kills the value of your rifle. Hopefully you bought this cheap. If so then enjoy it for what it is which is a nice looking reproduction of an impossible rifle find.

More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0799.jpeg
    IMG_0799.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 50
More pictures, there are no markings on the inside of the scope mount

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 48
Matt (mdarnell) is one of the go-to guys for 98k sniper rifles.

It looks like your rifle is matching, so Matt answered my question as to if adding the scope/mount drops value. It's unfortunate, but it's an otherwise nice repro of an extremely rare rifle.

Matt (mdarnell) is one of the go-to guys for 98k sniper rifles.

It looks like your rifle is matching, so Matt answered my question as to if adding the scope/mount drops value. It's unfortunate, but it's an otherwise nice repro of an extremely rare rifle.
Well thats too bad. Dont want to say how much my dad paid for it.

There is no period documentation about these to date. But it seems the program failed, and many (or all) were brought home without scopes imo. The 1 known original from White Labs was photographed for Aberdeen and someone owns it. That’s the only one I’d consider 100% legitimate. I think there are t and u blocks probably, but k? I wouldn’t bet on that especially coming from an auction house. Notorious fake peddlers. You can’t look at it and be sure because most people compare fakes to fakes to authenticate them. It’s a fools errand.

Yikes... the rifle alone without the alteration would have been worth around $2500 or so as a matching 98k. How much should be deducted from that, one of the other guys could probably tell you.

Many of these auction houses know the basics, yet they're out there selling items for extremely high prices. When it comes to 98k's, this forum should the the FIRST stop when it comes to validating a rifle.

Yikes... the rifle alone without the alteration would have been worth around $2500 or so as a matching 98k. How much should be deducted from that, one of the other guys could probably tell you.

Many of these auction houses know the basics, yet they're out there selling items for extremely high prices. When it comes to 98k's, this forum should the the FIRST stop when it comes to validating a rifle.
All true, unfortunately my dad paid around $2k for it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back