Third Party Press

JP Sauer 44 sniper?

Your father paying $2k really isn't that bad. Even the $4k listed final price isn't the worst I've seen for one of these.

That being send, it does actually say in the Rock Island description that it isn't original. In the Description it says "This is an example of a late-war production K98 rifle made by J. P. Sauer and Sohn with one of the copies of a late war variant swept-back style sniper mount" and in the Rating Definition it says "Fine as upgraded to current configuration".

In fairness, price aside, the RIA auction description is clear that the mount is a modern addition, and the rifle is not an original sniper. I agree though that candor is not a typical auction house attribute!

The Mount is 100% Reproduction . The Riser Arms of the Mount are not correct they don't have correct shape and or sweep to that of an original Mount . The Mount IMO is most likely the ones made by Robert Spielauer or at least a repro made by other makers of reproduction mounts .

The Mount is 100% Reproduction . The Riser Arms of the Mount are not correct they don't have correct shape and or sweep to that of an original Mount . The Mount IMO is most likely the ones made by Robert Spielauer or at least a repro made by other makers of reproduction mounts .
Dave, do you have any idea how long repro swept back mounts have been made for? I've encountered a lot of repro swept backs, which is interesting considering they were only every a trials rifles and there is like one or two confirmed surviving examples.

There is no period documentation about these to date.
I think I recently mentioned it, but I DID find period documents on these rifles where they speak on the ZF4 being mounted to the K98k rifle and the challenge of the mount have to be on the opposite side of the receiver .. so yes, there are wartime documents on these rifles. Just not in detail.

Can only concur to what was said, the rifle is not an original WWII sniper rifle, but has been set up post war. Whoever did it, he was at least aware that he is supposed to use a ce44 - obviously though wasn't aware of the specific letter block nor what Dave had mentioned, the special indistinguishable bend in the arms the original mounts seem to have, as well as the two digit numbers inside the mount. For $ 2000 I though think your dad do excellent and it nevertheless is a very nice looking replica you can be proud of because this is most possibly as close as one can get to an original - because they are so rare, that usually money won't be helping you to obtain one since they come up so seldom. The scope maybe $ 500, the mount with base another $ 500, maybe another $ 500 for gunsmithing to properly set up the mount - your dad paid $ 500 for an all matching ce44. Hence I cam to the conclusion it was a good deal.

Dave, do you have any idea how long repro swept back mounts have been made for? I've encountered a lot of repro swept backs, which is interesting considering they were only every a trials rifles and there is like one or two confirmed surviving examples.
From those that I have spoken with such as Robert and other Repro producers in Germany , Austria and also France these have been being made from at least early to mid 1980 and possibly longer , the estimate I give is only what I have learned from talking with those who actually produced these reproduction Swept Back Mounts and Bases .

Your father paying $2k really isn't that bad. Even the $4k listed final price isn't the worst I've seen for one of these.

That being send, it does actually say in the Rock Island description that it isn't original. In the Description it says "This is an example of a late-war production K98 rifle made by J. P. Sauer and Sohn with one of the copies of a late war variant swept-back style sniper mount" and in the Rating Definition it says "Fine as upgraded to current configuration".
Yes, I found the description after I asked and posted everything. So they were not trying to be dishonest or anything.
From those that I have spoken with such as Robert and other Repro producers in Germany , Austria and also France these have been being made from at least early to mid 1980 and possibly longer , the estimate I give is only what I have learned from talking with those who actually produced these reproduction Swept Back Mounts and Bases .
they look high quality made mounts.

Military Rifle Journal
Back