Third Party Press

K98 bayonet for review

mercury

I have been looking for a nice k98 bayonet for a bit and ran across this one no scabbard. It was an impulse buy. I most likely paid too much $80. Its unsharpend. Any info on it would help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC04030.JPG
    DSC04030.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC04031.JPG
    DSC04031.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04032.JPG
    DSC04032.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04033.JPG
    DSC04033.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC04035.jpg
    DSC04035.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04036.jpg
    DSC04036.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04037.jpg
    DSC04037.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 13
  • wafenampt.JPG
    wafenampt.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04045.jpg
    DSC04045.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04046.jpg
    DSC04046.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 16
It looks like You dont believe what was sayed on other forum, haha. A mostly spain refurbishment of S84/98 bayonet made by Elite Diamant 1936 under S/185 code, new grips and missed flashguard and reblued.b.r.Andy
http://k98.free.fr/s185 36-1122i.html

Last edited:
It looks like You dont believe what was sayed on other forum, haha. A mostly spain refurbishment of S84/98 bayonet made by Elite Diamant 1936 under S/185 code, new grips and missed flashguard and reblued.b.r.Andy
http://k98.free.fr/s185 36-1122i.html

It has nothing to do with believing. Its group think. I don't take one dentist or Drs opinion on anything or one Mechanics diagnosis. If one person says one thing on a forum nine times out of ten the others will just follow like lemmings. I don't doubt that its missing the flash guard or that the grips are not original. But the Spain part is only a supposition. So now you have tainted this thread with doubt before anyone gave an opinion. thanks for that.

It has nothing to do with believing. Its group think. I don't take one dentist or Drs opinion on anything or one Mechanics diagnosis. If one person says one thing on a forum nine times out of ten the others will just follow like lemmings. I don't doubt that its missing the flash guard or that the grips are not original. But the Spain part is only a supposition. So now you have tainted this thread with doubt before anyone gave an opinion. thanks for that.

The thread is not tainted with doubt. The grips are wrong and it is missing the flashguard, no question about it. The Spain part is a characteristic of the rework they did. Andy is one of the more knowledgeable bayonet researchers on the net so you can pretty much count on what he has said to be correct.

It has nothing to do with believing. Its group think. If one person says one thing on a forum nine times out of ten the others will just follow like lemmings.

This forum is unlike most others. Members here offer opinions based on many years of experience and debate is encouraged. Those with opposing views are not censored. As far as your bayonet in concerned, Andrej and Peter nailed it.

I am not sure if I should leave it alone or buy a flash guard and look for a scabbard. Or sell it and buy another one.

I am not sure if I should leave it alone or buy a flash guard and look for a scabbard. Or sell it and buy another one.

Like anything German, research much be done. If you’re wanting a correct, matching S84/98 bayonet for a K98k, just do your homework (this forum will assist in that) and get another one. I wouldn’t bother buying the individual parts for that one.

As mentioned, Andy is the bayonet guy. He know what he is talking about. This forum is one of the few that the word of one will set the facts straight on whatever is shown.

Like anything German, research much be done. If you’re wanting a correct, matching S84/98 bayonet for a K98k, just do your homework (this forum will assist in that) and get another one. I wouldn’t bother buying the individual parts for that one.

As mentioned, Andy is the bayonet guy. He know what he is talking about. This forum is one of the few that the word of one will set the facts straight on whatever is shown.

I get it. Sometimes better to cut bait. I posted another one offered to me for 80 dollars. Looks good to me but I am not sure. ASW in another post I put up. Not a bad price if its a good one.

I get it. Sometimes better to cut bait. I posted another one offered to me for 80 dollars. Looks good to me but I am not sure. ASW in another post I put up. Not a bad price if its a good one.

The asw in the other thread is a decent deal....considerably better than this bayonet.

I did order a flash guard for the s185. It was 12 bucks. I can cut the cleaning hold in the grips and it will make a nice looking although not all original bayonet. could sell to a rein-actor who does not want to carry a high end one.

Offcoarse You are right, better ask for more opinions,its good choice, i personally always says better harder words, as make some neutral talking. Maybe i am not loved for this, but i will make a corect points to believe what You have there. The spain is high possibility and i personally would leave as is, because this was done profesionally there by refurbishment to M43 configuration, by adding flashguard You must make a recess to the grips for flashguard same as for cleaning rod chanel which there is already done, the origin serials by pencil would be lost, same as the details of spain configuration and You bring this never to german prewar configuration, because no E/218 parts on flashguard and grips, no assembly numbers etx, no older blueing. so this is Your choice what to do, reenactments take this wout flashguard too.

Last edited:
Offcoarse You are right, better ask for more opinions,its good choice, i personally always says better harder words, as make some neutral talking. Maybe i am not loved for this, but i will make a corect points to believe what You have there. The spain is high possibility and i personally would leave as is, because this was done profesionally there by refurbishment to M43 configuration, by adding flashguard You must make a recess to the grips for flashguard same as for cleaning rod chanel, the origin serials by pencil would be lost, same as the details of spain configuration and You bring this never to german prewar configuration, because no E/218 parts on flashguard and grips, no assembly numbers etx, no older blueing. so this is Your choice what to do, reenactments take this wout flashguard too.

Shoot I forgot I would have to modify the grips. Maybe I will order a bakalite repop and do it. LOL That way I will not modify the bayonet configuration.

You said something about carrying this bayonet? If you plan on doing that, just leave it in the configuration it is in. Find a scabbard on ebay (original or repop) , get a repop web frog (also on ebay) and strap it on.

When You collect a S84/98 bayonets in future, this would be a postwar variant a confirmation of postwar using of S84/98 in various countries, with no problem to add a german or spain M43 scabbard to it. When change the item so You made from it a total missmatch usable on reenactment only. But certainly that is a owner choice.

Military Rifle Journal
Back