Third Party Press

K98k Ammo Question

foshor

Registered
Hi all, I'm looking to pick up a K98k in the near future and am wondering about ammo. The gun I'm looking at is chambered in 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm), how available is this ammo? Is this the same thing as 7x57mm that's widely available?

Hi all, I'm looking to pick up a K98k in the near future and am wondering about ammo. The gun I'm looking at is chambered in 8mm Mauser (7.92x57mm), how available is this ammo? Is this the same thing as 7x57mm that's widely available?
8mm Mauser (8x57JS or 7.92x57mm) is not the same cartridge as 7x57mm. Your ammo situation will depend upon your location. In the US, you can find 8x57 relatively easily as there is a wide amount of surplus ammo available online and both PPU and Sellier & Bellot also manufacture new production ammo as well. The sights on the K98k are regulated for the s.S. Patrone which has a 198gr bullet travelling around 2500 fps.

I don’t think foshor understands “caliber”.
The 7x57 mm cartridge is 7mm caliber. It has a bullet that is 7 mm in diameter and the cartridge case is 57 mm long (base to mouth of case).
The 8x57 mm (also identified as 7.92x57mm and 7.9x57mm) has a bullet which is 7.92mm in diameter and a cartridge case which is 57 mm long. While the caliber is actually 7.92mm, it is often referred to as 8mm for brevity
Both are rimless cartridges. *****THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!*****
There is also a rimmed version of the 8x57 mm cartridge called the 8 x57mm IR. That cartridge will not work in a K98k rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back