Third Party Press

Kar 98 ss conversion questions

Cfry

I just have questions to the type of numbering on ss conversion rifles, like should they be clean easily read or just stamped onto the old numbers on bands and other parts.any help would be appreciated.

It really depends. Usually they didn't overstamp unless it was one digit and a similar shaped one for that matter. The German's typically lined out or xxx out the old number and stamped the new number under or over that. There are examples posted here. Quite a few. It's much easier to look at those than describe what to look for. Search SS or conversion in the search box on this forum. Most SS conversions are built up on existing Gew98 receivers and the top is scrubbed and commercial proof marks are used.. Most fakes don't follow this. Most fakes just have a poor deaths head stamped on the barrel and that's it. Hope this helps.

Thanks

That answers my question. But I looked at an ss conversion today with a scrubbed reciver, which had one death head with what kinda looks like a sideway s above it on the barrel and one on the stock wrist without the s and the only thing that bugged me was that the band numbers were messy and over stamping the previous numbers and the last digits on some part were flipped, like instead of 87 it was 78 and bolt was mm.

sounds correct.. the DH with lazy s is a legit variant. DH at the wrist is correct. Scrubbed receiver top with commercial crown/N proofs under or over the serial is the most common type. Renumbering varies upon the depot.

I thought the barrel and receiver was correct it was just mainly the smaller parts and top hand guard which was a laminated type with the stock being walnut looked odd and stock looked refinished into a light color kinda like lacquer and the guy wanted 600 for it but I don't know very much about them.

600 is a good buy even for a mismatched example. Just look at examples listed here and study the DH. A lot of the fake DH's look like Frankenberry !! :facepalm:

What would the approximate value in your opinion be for a completely mismatched, And I'll ask the seller for pictures of the DH for you to see

you just said they wanted 600. I said even if it were mismatched but all correct its worth 600.00

That looks like a SS 98K conversion built using a WW1 small ring KAR 98 AZ carbine action, instead of the normally seen conversions using GEW 98 large ring actions.

Especially if the stock is the correct stock for the small ring conversion, I would pay $600 any day just to have one, even if it was a bolt or band mismatch.

I agree. Kar 98 conversions are certainly rare and the barrelled action is easily worth this. If the stock and bands are correct it would be an amazing find. Easy decision for me!

I have only seen one other.. Those are far more scarce than the Gew98 conversions. Well worth 3 times the asking price IMHO even mismatched to an SS collector.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg here's some more photos I'll take some more when I get home if you want. And sorry about the crappy lighting it's raining here.

Yeah, I would have bought that. This variant is in Vol.1, but they are really rare to find in any condition, so you stole it.

We'll I guess it's beginners luck. Now my 98b isn't so lonely lol, I don't think the seller knew what the markings were because he never said anything about it and he didn't have it at the show the first day, he left it at home because he didn't think anyone would really be interested in it.

You're lucky for sure! The barrel appears to have a 938 conversion date which is sept '38. A little hard to tell though. Too bad about the varnish, but hopefully it hasn't been sanded. Great find!

View attachment 98332View attachment 98333View attachment 98334 here's some more photos I'll take some more when I get home if you want. And sorry about the crappy lighting it's raining here.

Best to do a full shoot if you can. More interested in the stock conversion. Whether or not the kar98 stock was re-used and modified or if a new stock was used ? I have seen kar98 actions used in a large ring stock with a shimming system used as the kar98 is a small ring action.

Here's some photos of it in better light, I think I covered all that was important if not let me know.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back