Third Party Press

Kar98az and "normal" 98 interchangeability

Stopper

I need help pls? Pretty please..

I have been offered a k98az very cheap. Excellent bore, good stock but missing bolt release, mag follover, action screws and a button plate. This is to be rebuilt as a gap filler/shooter.

Now I am not sure if the above parts interchange with normal large ring 98's? If so it would he easy for me to source parts. It's being sold for the price of a 98 bolt, maybe less, should u buy the gun?

Bolt release, follower and screws should be OK. Screws will be OK for diameter and threads but may need to be adjusted for length. Not sure what you mean by button plate. Floorplate release button? If that is what you mean, then it should work. Note that parts are not fully interchangeable for all 98 Mausers as tolerances vary by maker and when made. Fitting may be required. If you have access to another 98 then I would try some of those parts before you go chasing parts. If the bolt matches the receiver, then I would go for it. We'll see if others here agree.

I need help pls? Pretty please..

I have been offered a k98az very cheap. Excellent bore, good stock but missing bolt release, mag follover, action screws and a button plate. This is to be rebuilt as a gap filler/shooter.

Now I am not sure if the above parts interchange with normal large ring 98's? If so it would he easy for me to source parts. It's being sold for the price of a 98 bolt, maybe less, should u buy the gun?
Good price for an “easy” project shooter. Those parts (except I am not sure what the “button plate” refers to?) should be interchangeable.

Might mean buttplate, and autocorrect did its magic.

Don't know about interchangability with Gew98 parts but 98a parts aren't all that hard to find.

Thanks guys! I meant butt plate! Bloody predictive text on my phone....

Yes I have a few large ring actions. But when I was offered the rifle I had no ways to try the parts on. Anyway, I called the guy, it's mine now.

Military Rifle Journal
Back