Third Party Press

KKW Muzzle Guide question

R.W. Parker

Does anyone have one of these? This one kicked around here for about 30 years, and when Simpson’s book came out I was finally able to identify it a KKW muzzle guide (p. 618).

Here’s the rub, though: On my muzzle guide, the machined steel insert (marked “A” in the photo) is too far rearward in the knurled sleeve to allow the guide to be installed. Whether it’s powered by a spring washer or a “non metallic insert”, the insert doesn’t move forward like those on mündungsdeckel having the sight protector and flip-up toilet seat.

I’m wondering if the machined steel insert of my guide might be frozen in its stamped housing.

Sorry, here are the pics.

Richie

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 28
Maybe it's frozen up with either hardened grease or rust or both. You could try dropping it in a cup of lacquer thinner or acetone, or put a few drops of penetrating oil on it, blow it out with a air compressor, then push on the plunger with a dowel rod or equivalent to try to loosen it up.
:happy0180:

OK, so it DOES function like the other muzzle covers/guides, in that the insert (or "plunger", that's a much better term!) is spring loaded.

Now I'm wondering about the "non-metallic insert" (as the Simpson book calls it) that's used in lieu of a helical spring, and whether that material might be damaged by penetrating oil. Your thoughts?

Richie

Regarding the muzzle cleaning rod guide, don't know of any arms collector book ever written without error(s) of some sort. The muzzle guide you show is actually for the Yugoslavian M48 and related Mauser98 pattern rifles. My guess is Bob found the cover pictured on a BSW trainer long ago (30 years was stated), and he made a erroneous assumption. One other thing to consider is the inside diameter of the guide. If for a .22 DSM/KKW or other trainer, the I.D.would not be 7.92mm, but approximately 5.56mm like the muzzle covers (which can be used as a guide as as well).:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9667

Last edited:
I have seen that devise somewhere... has nothing to do with a kkw. They used the same type as the k98k but with a smaller hole.

Regarding the muzzle cleaning rod guide, don't know of any arms collector book ever written without error(s) of some sort. The muzzle guide you show is actually for the Yugoslavian M48 and related Mauser98 pattern rifles.

Wonderful! At least now I know what it's for. Thanks!

Richie

Maybe it's frozen up with either hardened grease or rust or both. You could try dropping it in a cup of lacquer thinner or acetone, or put a few drops of penetrating oil on it, blow it out with a air compressor, then push on the plunger with a dowel rod or equivalent to try to loosen it up.
:happy0180:

Many thanks! I soaked it is a shot glass of PB Blaster for two days, and that freed up the plunger. I was concerned about damaging the "non metallic insert" with solvent or penetrating oil, but this thing apparently uses an ordinary coil spring.

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back