Third Party Press

Looking for some help

chasr

Registered
I'm a first time user in need of some help.

I have a Mauser my dad brought home from WWII. Found it recently when cleaning out a closet in my mom's house. The stock is badly cut-up ("customized" by a younger sibling somewhere along the line) I recently purchased a replacement stock on ebay that looks to be identical to the original.

I'm not sure how to remove the bayonet mount (does the pin simply push out?), the recoil lug assembly or the take down disc. All these pieces are in the original stock, but none are in the replacement.

The replacement stock has been stripped of its original finish, and the original handguard still has its original finish. I was planning to lightly sand the replacement stock, strip and sand the handguard and then finish both as close to original color as possible. I don't know what the original color really is.

I have no idea if this rifle has any value other than sentimental. From what I have learned through research on the Internet I know it was made in 1944 at Oberndorf. The serial numbers on the rifle are all the same (9524) except for the bolt (9558) and the replacement stock (5083).

Any assistance, direction or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sanding is usually not the right answer. It tends to eliminate any value left in the stock, even on a loose stock. The bayonet mount is held in place by a friction pin. You should be able to tap it out with a mallet and a punch. Be sure that the punch is smaller than the pin or you will end up banging up the bayonet mount, which is an aesthetic problem and can scrape up the upper band when assembling (internally). The stock lug requires a specific spanner wrench and I don't recommend substituting anything for it (like a slightly opened pair of needle nose pliers) as it frequently results in stock damage. The spanner wrench is available from Brownells here:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ches/mauser-98-cross-bolt-wrench-prod416.aspx

It will cost you $30 or so but will be worth it to help you do your project without further damage. Brownells delivers quickly. You should have it in 7 days or less. That stock lug nut crossthreads easily too, and that is a second reason to use the wrench versus trying to get by with the wrong tool. Anyway, post some photos or send them to someone here to post for you and you will get all the help with your project that you need.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back