Third Party Press

LSR rescue

ditch68

I Like Bunnies
This was a rough one. The whole of the metal (phosphate original finish) had been sanded, and poorly reblued. It was awful. I worked to somewhat restore the machining marks with emery cloth as best I could, and refinished.

The best part is some clown I guess couldn't stand a bcd 4 to mot have a second digit, so they stamped by hand, crooked, a "1", making a bcd41 phosphate sniper rifle. My Dad expertly removed it with a dremel and reshaped it to look like a dent.

We found a gorgeous original LSR stock (from a forum member here), and topped it with a phosphate bek dialytan in an unnumbered wide band mount.

What a shame someone did that much damage to a bolt matching LSR. Bore is dark with strong rifling

I don't think I have posted this one before, so I took some new photos. Not top of the line, but sure better than the fence post it was.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSCF2290.JPG
    DSCF2290.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF2291.JPG
    DSCF2291.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF2292.jpg
    DSCF2292.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF2294.jpg
    DSCF2294.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF2295.jpg
    DSCF2295.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF2297.JPG
    DSCF2297.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF2298.jpg
    DSCF2298.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
More pics. The unnumbered bands, phosphate milled "d" and "1" marked TG/FP were added.

Attachments

• DSCF2301.JPG
    DSCF2301.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF2302.jpg
    DSCF2302.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF2303.JPG
    DSCF2303.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF2304.jpg
    DSCF2304.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF2305.jpg
    DSCF2305.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 73
Thanks, guys.

I did the finish here at home. What a dog and pony show. It was a complicated deal, doing a whole barreled action. It involved rain gutter, foil, and a big boiling pot and a circus clown and rolling eyes from the wife.

Then I hot dipped all the assembled metal in cosmoline and cleaned it back up so it looked a little more "old" I suppose, it looks just as good in person. I of course find it flawed, but I have to keep reminding myself of how it looked before.

The "bcd 4" and the War Eagle took a real beating from a grinder before they reblued it. I left it alone.

Jeff

Attachments

• S0012308.JPG
    S0012308.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 84
Yeah, white vinegar. Plus it mildly etches the metal and helps clean it. In this case, anyway, because the original phosphate was mostly removed.

I sent you a PM back.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Im also currently rescuing a BCD4 LSR serial number 82XXX!! Our rifles were very close to one another. I have two questions for you..

My rifles rear sight was removed when it was sported and I am unable to find pictures of a correct rear sight for the rifle. Many are for sale but i'm not sure what marking to look for. Could you post a picture of the markings on the rear tangent sight by any chance? as you can see in the picture below the entire sight sleeve was removed!

k981.jpg

My second question is what was the process or chemicals that you used for re-phosphating. Most of my finish is gone as well and I think it will be nearly impossible to match a new sight sleeve to the barrel without re phosphating the entire barreled action.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thanks! scott

I got the solution from a friend, I am not sure where he got it. I think it's for sale at Brownell's. The hard part was keeping the temp up with a makeshift trough big enough for a barreled action. I likely won't be doing that project again, it was a pain.

As for the rear sight, it would follow all the rest of the late bcd4 guns in that serial range, a couple options exist, search for bcd4 and you will find good photos, mine is mostly unmarked.

Here is a start, the pic sticky reference:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?45-Picture-Reference-Index

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Im also currently rescuing a BCD4 LSR serial number 82XXX!! Our rifles were very close to one another. I have two questions for you..

My rifles rear sight was removed when it was sported and I am unable to find pictures of a correct rear sight for the rifle. Many are for sale but i'm not sure what marking to look for. Could you post a picture of the markings on the rear tangent sight by any chance? as you can see in the picture below the entire sight sleeve was removed!

View attachment 178413

My second question is what was the process or chemicals that you used for re-phosphating. Most of my finish is gone as well and I think it will be nearly impossible to match a new sight sleeve to the barrel without re phosphating the entire barreled action.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thanks! scott

I wouldn't worry about trying to match the finish exactly. I've seen several late Gustloffs, including my own LSR that have a lighter, thinner phosphate wash on the sight base, instead of an even finish. Whether it's the thinner metal itself or a contaminated material is anyone's guess. As far as the markings, they're consistent with late war Gustloff: stick eagle with a 1, and i marked ( see attached ). Good luck with the restoration, it's an extremely worthy cause.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 25
Here is one with original finish with an even more dramatic color difference between the sight sleeve and barrel.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSCF2504.jpg
    DSCF2504.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 32

Military Rifle Journal
Back