Third Party Press

M.33 Italian Camo helmet MVSN / RSI

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Italian camos (plenty of fakes) are much harder to find than German. It's also difficult to find a named Italian helmet. For many years I thought the guy's name was "Benussiettore", not "Benussi, Ettore". I bought this from a pawn/jewelry shop owner in a small southern town for $50 back in the late 80s. It was basically thrown in on a deal involved about 12 Jap. T14 pistols I purchased to sell. An Italian collector researched the name for me "CN Benussi, Ettore", or Blackshirt Hector Benussi:

"There was 3 brothers: Benussi Pietro,Antonio,Ettore.... 2° regiment of MDT in Istria. ° regiment "ISTRIA" MDT(Milizia difesa territoriale) field defence group located at "Pola" to defend the city from the Tito's communist partisan attacks... There is a lot of History about this regiment!"

Ettore (Hector), the owner of the helmet, and his two brothers Pietro and Antonio served in the 2 Regt. MDT (RSI). Antonio was shot on May 10, 1945:

benussi.antonio 2 Regt. MDT.jpg

I haven't researched Blackshirt Ettore Benussi yet, I think that may require Italian reference. This helmet has been featured in an excellent book on Italian militaria.

Some information on the unit:

2. Reggimento Milizia Difesa Territoriale “Istria”
The 2. Rgt. MDT „Istria“ was employed on the Istria peninsula from late 1943 to May 1945, for control of the territory, protection of transport and communication lines and fighting the partisans. It had several armoured trucks (particularly in the mobile company “Mazza di Ferro”, based in Pola – today Pula), some of them armed with a 20 mm machine gun, and two L 3 light tanks. It seems that the two L 3 tanks, after being abandoned by the Italian army, were recovered respectively by a civilian and by the Yugoslav partisans (that abandoned it afterwards) and were bought by the regiment, one for 35.000 lire and the other against a truckload of clothes and shoes. One, which was immobile, was dig at the edge of the town of Buie and used as a bunker until it was destroyed by the militiamen before they abandoned Istria on 29th April 1945. The other one was used in action and at the end of the war it was sunk in the see in the port of Capodistria (today Koper) to avoid its capture by the Yugoslav partisans.
(from: Luigi Papo de Montona, L’ultima bandiera. Storia del Reggimento “Istria”, TER, Roma, 2000)
http://www.panzer-ozak.it/newinfo_eng.htm

Attachments

• M.33 RSI camo helmet_0351.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0351.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 67
  • M.33 RSI camo helmet_0352.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0352.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 51
  • M.33 RSI camo helmet_0353.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0353.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 47
  • M.33 RSI camo helmet_0354.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0354.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 40
  • M.33 RSI camo helmet_0356.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0356.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 41
  • M.33 RSI camo helmet_0358.jpg
    M.33 RSI camo helmet_0358.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 41
  • rsihelmet - Copy.jpg
    rsihelmet - Copy.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 52
Period pics of Benussi's unit, the 2 Regt. MDT, note the spray camouflaged trucks, AFVs, equipment:

2nd Regiment of Militia Territorial Defence (Istria)
Koper, 12 November 1943. CSR trucks During a recruitment campaign. Fiat626 with armored body from 665nm Fiat Chassis cowl belonged to the Society Autotransportata "Bunch of Iron."
(Source Corbatti and Sergio Nava MARCO 'HOW THE DIAMOND. Carristi The ITALIAN 1943-45 ")
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/italy/truck/Armoredtrucks/armored-1.htm

Attachments

• armored-21.jpg
    armored-21.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 32
  • armored-26.jpg
    armored-26.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
  • armored-27.jpg
    armored-27.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 34
  • armored-29.jpg
    armored-29.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Cool lid

Italian camos (plenty of fakes) are much harder to find than German. It's also difficult to find a named Italian helmet. For many years I thought the guy's name was "Benussiettore", not "Benussi, Ettore". I bought this from a pawn/jewelry shop owner in a small southern town for $50 back in the late 80s. It was basically thrown in on a deal involved about 12 Jap. T14 pistols I purchased to sell. An Italian collector researched the name for me "CN Benussi, Ettore", or Blackshirt Hector Benussi:

"There was 3 brothers: Benussi Pietro,Antonio,Ettore.... 2° regiment of MDT in Istria. ° regiment "ISTRIA" MDT(Milizia difesa territoriale) field defence group located at "Pola" to defend the city from the Tito's communist partisan attacks... There is a lot of History about this regiment!"

Ettore (Hector), the owner of the helmet, and his two brothers Pietro and Antonio served in the 2 Regt. MDT (RSI). Antonio was shot on May 10, 1945:

View attachment 70645

I haven't researched Blackshirt Ettore Benussi yet, I think that may require Italian reference. This helmet has been featured in an excellent book on Italian militaria.

Some information on the unit:

2. Reggimento Milizia Difesa Territoriale “Istria”
The 2. Rgt. MDT „Istria“ was employed on the Istria peninsula from late 1943 to May 1945, for control of the territory, protection of transport and communication lines and fighting the partisans. It had several armoured trucks (particularly in the mobile company “Mazza di Ferro”, based in Pola – today Pula), some of them armed with a 20 mm machine gun, and two L 3 light tanks. It seems that the two L 3 tanks, after being abandoned by the Italian army, were recovered respectively by a civilian and by the Yugoslav partisans (that abandoned it afterwards) and were bought by the regiment, one for 35.000 lire and the other against a truckload of clothes and shoes. One, which was immobile, was dig at the edge of the town of Buie and used as a bunker until it was destroyed by the militiamen before they abandoned Istria on 29th April 1945. The other one was used in action and at the end of the war it was sunk in the see in the port of Capodistria (today Koper) to avoid its capture by the Yugoslav partisans.
(from: Luigi Papo de Montona, L’ultima bandiera. Storia del Reggimento “Istria”, TER, Roma, 2000)
http://www.panzer-ozak.it/newinfo_eng.htm

Super rare lid....what is the book it is in ?

Italian...do we need to change to Hamboni ??????:laugh:

If you wish ;) I've always had a keen interest in Italian WW2 militaria and firearms. How many Italian camo helmets have you seen? The vast majority of "stencil" and certainly Italian "camo" helmets are fakes as they are popular in Italy, Europe, and here.

Italian helmet

If you wish ;) I've always had a keen interest in Italian WW2 militaria and firearms. How many Italian camo helmets have you seen? The vast majority of "stencil" and certainly Italian "camo" helmets are fakes as they are popular in Italy, Europe, and here.

I like the Italian stuff too. Still have not found a lid that meets my condition requirements.....

Here's some footage of these being manufactured. They are spray painting, but it doesn't appear to be a camo scheme........

Military Rifle Journal
Back