Third Party Press

M40 LW SE66

ismith

Wife and Son found this at an estate sale recently. Son started collecting helmets last year and wanted a German helmet. We very nearly bought him a Finnish M40-55 for Christmas, so it caught my Wifes eye at the sale. The remnants of a LW eagle can be seen under the tan paint. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated.
t98MUz7.jpg

yPnnF68.jpg

gbYhzQd.jpg

I often try to find things wrong with camos, and it is usually easy, but this one seems to check the boxes. It is -actually different from many camos that are seen today.

- It is a one color camo, might be considered drab by today's demands of multi colors and exotic schemes.
- No texturing media added, no sand, no woodchips, just paint. And not even thick paint, just a thin sprayed coating it appears.
- No chicken wire basket (half or full), no single wire, no phone cable, or evidence thereof.
- No name, unit markings or field postal numbers painted inside.
- The overall wear of components is consistent. No beat to hell liner with pristine camo paint.
- No suspicious distressed wear patterns, red dripping rust, etc. The rim shows smooth rust patina to factory paint to camo paint.
- camo paint appears to have been worn down to factory finish, not thick camo paint popped off with hard breaks to the camo.

All I can say is, congratulations !

Last edited:
A great photo. A very simple overspray. Concerning authentic camos, generally the simpler the better, IMO. The more elaborate works of art with muti colors, exotic schemes, various texturing medias, elaborate wire applications, detailed painted information such as names, unit marks, etc.. are more likely to be postwar creations, partly because those helmets were always more rare compared to camos in general, and the more rare the higher the demand and the higher the asking price.

A great photo. A very simple overspray. Concerning authentic camos, generally the simpler the better, IMO. The more elaborate works of art with muti colors, exotic schemes, various texturing medias, elaborate wire applications, detailed painted information such as names, unit marks, etc.. are more likely to be postwar creations, partly because those helmets were always more rare compared to camos in general, and the more rare the higher the demand and the higher the asking price.

Generally speaking I agree. However, names and/or FPN is not unusual. I have always, since the 80s, specifically looked for named and FPN helmets. It's what I collect. It's not as common as a completely unmarked helmet, but it's not uncommon as to be rare.

The only thing I see is that the liner band has been bent and misshapen, which usually comes with removal or other messing about. I'd leave that be. It's part of the history. The liner is consistent in size and wear and the rivets look right.

Military Rifle Journal
Back