Third Party Press

Matching Bayonets and Rifles

Tones

Hi Guys,

I've got a non-1920 marked G98m and a pre 1915 Kar98az coming (both bolt mm) and I am looking for information on what bayonet/s would be typical for each of them. If I could be pointed in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, Tones.

In regards to the bayonets, just about anything of the period might have been issued to the soldier the rifle was issued to, during it's service life. On the G98m, you said it was not a post-WW1 reissue, so more than likely a S98na would be appropriate. For the Kar98a dated 1915, a S98/05aa would be nice, but these can be a bit difficult to find now, so a S98/05na would work as well. I omitted mentioning the sawback patterns of both bayonet types as these, too, have gotten quite pricey.

hello i would think Fred is right with his opinion, anyway on Gew98 is possible to use S84/98aA, S84/98nA, S98/05aA, and S98/05nA, ersatz pieces S88/98 or S14 and ofcourse long S98,on Kar98az You should use only flashguard equiped bayonets like S98/05nA, or S84/98nA. b.r.Andy

Thank you very much for your replies. I'll be on the lookout for some of these as per your recommendations.

Is there any 1 book/reference guide that you would recommend for this kind of info, hopefully with lots of pictures?

Also, IIRC the Kar98AZ is a 1912.

Tones.

There are plenty of books about military bayonets and some that are purely German. Some of the older ones are out of print though and have almost become collector items in their own right and command a hefty price when they do become available.

Roy William's book: The Collector's Book of German Bayonets 1680-1945, fits what you want with lots of pictures of different types of German military bayonets. What's nice is that you can still get them from him directly for a decent price, especially when you get Volume I and II together.

-Roderick

Military Rifle Journal
Back