Third Party Press

Mauser C96 marking

Le mulot

IMG_8719.jpegIMG_8718.jpegGood morning to all the readers,
I know a Mauser C96 broomhandle without acceptance mark on the right side of the barrel but with a strange
small gothic letter at the back of the handle. It’s a early C96 ( from its number, made in 1915) and it has obvious
marks of having being worn in the battlefield. The security has been modified in 1915 but the hammer doesn’t have
the NS mark.
This small gothic letter could it be a different acceptance mark? Earliest than these on the barrel?
if you can help me? Thanks in adavance.
le mulot

The only thought (guess) that I had was that this was a privately purchased firearm for an officer that required some sort of repair/refurbishment, and was sent to a depot to have it done. The acceptance on the rear may have memorialized that work.

Again, just a guess, so I could be way off base.

Thanks for this first answer. I’m sure that this C96 has been modified. It has the new security système without NS mark. this modification
is from 1915 I think. I don’t have any others pics because this C96 doesn’t belong to me. I’ve seen it in Belgium. But the wood box wear traces of use with the traces of the right pocket button.

Military Rifle Journal
Back