Third Party Press

Mauser-Made M71 Jager...

samuel990

Greetings,

I found this rifle online while wasting some time and am curious as to what it's worth. The rifle definitely has some issues... It has been counterbored and the butt plate and some screws are not matching, but besides that it is correct. The most obvious issue is the large ?hole? in the center of the butt plate... Just curious about the rifle because it is a harder to find variant made by a harder to find a manufacturer. Let me know what you think!

J71.jpg pix894117698 (2).jpg pix788845858.jpg

I have a question. Te hole in the butt plate. Is there a void behind it like a long screw was there ? The counter bore in the barrel. Is there trace of anything being pushed in there. The reason I ask is. This one looks like it could have been a lamp at one tine. Bolt through butt plate to hold it to the base. Barrel counter bored and either threaded or like a press fit for the lamp fixture and shade. Had a friend that got a Remington Lee that this was done to. There was a flat piece of wood as the base and like a single post that went up to support the rifle .Shade screwed in the muzzle. Use to see these back in the 50/60s all sorts of different rifles.

Greetings,

I found this rifle online while wasting some time and am curious as to what it's worth. The rifle definitely has some issues... It has been counterbored and the butt plate and some screws are not matching, but besides that it is correct. The most obvious issue is the large ?hole? in the center of the butt plate... Just curious about the rifle because it is a harder to find variant made by a harder to find a manufacturer. Let me know what you think!

View attachment 258131 View attachment 258132 View attachment 258133
I ended up buying it. These are exceptionally rare. I believe this is only the 5th documented Oberndorf Jäger. Mauser was not a large company at all at the time and all three models are difficult. The Infantriegewehren seem the easiest, with a dozen or so documented, the jägerbusche next and the karabiners scarcer still. (I'm fortunate to have one of the three documented ones)

The buttplate hole is interesting. But wasn't a huge detriment given rarity.

The ex-lamp theory is interesting. I'll take a look when it arrives.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I ended up buying it. These are exceptionally rare. I believe this is only the 5th documented Oberndorf Jäger. Mauser was not a large company at all at the time and all three models are difficult. The Infantriegewehren seem the easiest, with a dozen or so documented, the jägerbusche next and the karabiners scarcer still. (I'm fortunate to have one of the three documented ones)

The buttplate hole is interesting. But wasn't a huge detriment given rarity.

The ex-lamp theory is interesting. I'll take a look when it arrives.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Glad someone here bought it! I figured someone would since no one was talking about it lol.

Military Rifle Journal
Back