Third Party Press

Mp44 dewat

Waffentag

At long last, I just got the transfer for an MP44 DEWAT from 1967, welded chamber, barrel to the receiver etc.

When and if the reactivation approval comes through from the ATF, OOW will do the work.

Their gun smith will not know until he pulls the barrel if it can used. His only concern with reactivation is the weld under the receiver is a non-typical area for a DEWAT weld. His hope is that it is only a surface weld to cover a drilled hole and does not penetrate all the way to the barrel.

Details:
SN XXXX/45 (No letter code)
Marking are:
Barrel, Front sight, Gas Block, Gas plug, Bolt, and Gas Piston.
Marking: ce
Manufacture: J.P. Sauer u. Sohn, Waffenfabrik, Suhl, Thuringia
Receiver, Stock Trunnion
Marking: cos (under front of receiver near trunnion weld)
Manufacture: Gebrueder Merz, Merz-Werke, Frankfurt, Main
Marking: I was told cr (adjacent to cos on receiver, Is this really ce and not cr?)
Proof: Eagle over 37
Inspector: Haenel
Proof: Waffenamt WaA254

I have two spare barrels,
-A mint parkerized BNZ Steyr from a torch cut MP43 dated 44 parts kit, mirror bore, looks like it was never fired, Perfect in every way.
-An ok, J.P. Sauer u. Sohn, ce marked blued barrel currently on an aluminum dummy gun receiver. , bright shinny bore, a coupe of pits, lots of muzzle wear. An inverted Hornady put in the muzzle upside down goes to the top of the cannelure, looks like it may need to be crowned

I understand that my Steyr is not correct. I have some time, about 4 or 5 months before they will be able to start work.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I am a collector, but will shoot it.

Put the ce barrel on it and be done? Re-crown the ce? Try to find a better original?

Put the Steyr on?

Pat

Attachments

• MP44.jpg
    MP44.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 98
  • MP44close.jpg
    MP44close.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 97

Military Rifle Journal
Back