Third Party Press

My first K98 cleaning kit (took a while!)

Zeppelin5000

So after all this time, I finally picked up a K98 cleaning kit. It's a little beat up and dirty, but that gives it character. It shows it got some use! It's G.Appel 1938 marked. I've seen this to be a common maker, but is there anything special about these?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20200619_122618.jpg
    20200619_122618.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200619_124044.jpg
    20200619_124044.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200619_124025.jpg
    20200619_124025.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 165
Z5K: What you have there appears to be a ex-Portuguese contract Reinigungsgerat 34 produced by G Appel in 1938. A large number of kits from this maker (and possibly others like HAWIG) were supplied to the Portuguese army along with arms in the late 1930s to 1941. Unfortunately, the German WaA acceptance stamp on the other side of the tin is an embellishment added after-the-fact, to enhance someone's sale. In addition, the Portuguese modified or made new components for many kits, in order to extend their service life before being declared surplus. Several Forum members collect the "Rg34" and we hang out on the Bayonets & Accessories Forum. Please stop by for a visit. BTW, here is one member's website you might find of interest:

http://rg34.blogspot.com/p/rg-34-info.html

(detailed information can be accessed via the column on the right)

Last edited:
Z5K: What you have there appears to be a ex-Portuguese contract Reinigungsgerat 34 produced by G Appel in 1938. A large number of kits from this maker (and possibly others like HAWIG) were supplied to the Portuguese army along with arms in the late 1930s to 1941. Unfortunately, the German WaA acceptance stamp on the other side of the tin is an embellishment added after-the-fact, to enhance someone's sale. In addition, the Portuguese modified or made new components for many kits, in order to extend their service life before being declared surplus. Several Forum members collect the "Rg34" and we hang out on the Bayonets & Accessories Forum. Please stop by for a visit. BTW, here is one member's website you might find of interest:

http://rg34.blogspot.com/p/rg-34-info.html

(detailed information can be accessed via the column on the right)

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that eagle... I've never seen that in photos on other Rg34's. What stands out though that this is Portuguese contract?

The IMA kits are a roll of the dice regarding what you will get. Some are indeed German pre-war/war time issue, some civil or foreign contract. Why yours sports a seemingly oversized, spurious waffenamt is anyone's guess.

The IMA kits are a roll of the dice regarding what you will get. Some are indeed German pre-war/war time issue, some civil or foreign contract. Why yours sports a seemingly oversized, spurious waffenamt is anyone's guess.

Seems that way. Yeah, it does seem a bit off to me! Lol

It’s nice to see that your kit has the “spoon” in it. For some reason these are almost always missing from them.

It’s nice to see that your kit has the “spoon” in it. For some reason these are almost always missing from them.

Indeed. I bought a far from complete kit a couple years just because it had 3 “spoons” in the canister. It was cheap of course and the spoons made it a very good (but very inexpensive) deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if there is any published information on these Portuguese contract Rg34s? I'd like to read up on the story.

I'm wondering if there is any published information on these Portuguese contract Rg34s? I'd like to read up on the story.

One of our Forum members has been gathering information, etc. for 20 years, with the intention to publish a book on the Rg34. This Forum is perhaps the best resource for current information. Since the Portuguese contract comprised two installments, the M1937 & M1941, rifles numbered in the tens of thousands. Each rifle was supplied with a matching bayonet. Undoubtedly, Rg34s were ordered for each and a percentage of spares as well. G APPEL was the primary contractor, with the majority of the kits supplied being unattributed (from what we have seen).

Typically, Rg34s bearing a manufacturer's name, number, or letter code on the tin and a WaA acceptance are German Army contracted for. Minor components may also be so marked and accepted, but this started to slowly disappear by 1942 thru the end of the war. Kits (primarily G APPEL) without any WaA acceptance, are usually considered "behoerden"...not made under contract to the German army, but available for export or sales to other German para-military organizations requiring cleaning kits. One manufacturer's kits in particular (code) "ftd" appears to have been made for these organizations, as no example bearing a WaA is known. In addition, they often exhibit inferior manufacture of the cleaning chain, and would have been rejected by the Army out of hand.

Lastly, spurious German markings on the Portuguese kits go back to the 1980s, when they first began to appear. Just recently on Ebay there was a example with both a German firing test proof eagle and a E/WaA135 on the tin (doubly bogus). Perhaps the big "chicken" eagle as mentioned in this thread is most prevalent, but even examples are known with a bogus Mauser "banner" as well...

BTW,
I posted an abbreviated history of these on the IMA listing reviews. Those buying them thinking that they are German wartime issue should be advised of their true provenance.

BTW,
I posted an abbreviated history of these on the IMA listing reviews. Those buying them thinking that they are German wartime issue should be advised of their true provenance.

Yeah, IMA plays very fast and loose with their descriptions, I am sure with the intent to deceive...

Another Grey Blanket type seller, you really need to know what your buying...

Yeah, IMA plays very fast and loose with their descriptions, I am sure with the intent to deceive...

Another Grey Blanket type seller, you really need to know what your buying...

It’s funny, I know how the German WWII militaria market is with variations, fakes, etc. Just when you think “hey, it’s just a cleaning kit, there can’t be anything off about this!”, there is.... lol. It really goes to show that there is something to know about EVERY little piece of equipment they carried.

Sadly, with many businesses (and some individuals), "Anything for a buck" is their mantra. Remember the Steyr M95s which were imported with E/WaAs all over the action and stock? Yet the importer/sellers sold them like bottles of elixir. Put a German wartime marking on anything and it will sell...for more!

Would one like this be a correct German issued piece being it has a small waffenamt next to the maker mark?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7AF0BAFB-4749-4E44-9C36-E1956B4FA898.jpeg
    7AF0BAFB-4749-4E44-9C36-E1956B4FA898.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 47

Military Rifle Journal
Back