Third Party Press

My First KKW

Landser

Last month I bought my first KKW, a Gustloff. I knew what these were, but did not know many details about them and have been studying up on them since buying it. The last time I saw one was before our current man in the White House was elected the first time and the price then was around $1,100 and I cannot remember if it was a KKW or DSM rifle.

I spotted this rifle in a rack at a show and looked it over and put it back since I was not done checking the rest of the place out. The lighting was not the best and I did not see a SN on the bolt and tried using my phone to search for info online and was not sure about it. I spotted something saying the early BUG crown rifles did not have a SN on the bolt flat and took a chance. I think there are faint proof marks on the bolt flat that may be visible in my photo. It has a mirror bore and I was happy it had the cleaning rod, sling, SA stock marking, and muzzle cover, a type I had not seen before. The sling I since found out is for a K98, but I am still happy it came with it. The bluing is very nice and there are some dings and scratches to the stock.

It looks like this rifle was put away and possibly never shot since coming home with the vet who brought it back since it was dusty. No duffel cut or import marks. From what I have researched here and elsewhere it looks like this rifle was made around 1939 due to the proof marks and lower SN. Also, there are lines inside the G on the receiver, something I have not seen very often looking at other Gustloff's posted online.

I recently took it to the range and shot oddball ammo, shorts, longs, LR, copper and lead slugs, and HPs. At 25 yds I thought it shot great!

What is a ballpark value for one of these rifles? I don't see them often in my travels though I don't think they are considered too rare. I saw a posting on another site from a few years ago and it said just having the generic SA marking adds around $500 to the value, which I find hard to believe. Not sure if I may have paid too much for it, but I am happy I got it and plan on keeping it.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 73
Very nice find. I have a DSM-34 from ERMA with a serial number under 400 and it, too, shoots very well. I can't say I have ever seen one with the muzzle cap. RE:value, I am rather useless when it comes to that. I am sure others that can speak with authority will be around soon.

Congratulations!

I do like the rifle overall... SA, rod, 98 sling are all good things. Yes, appears to be an early Gustloff, so an unnumbered bolt is right.

Check the muz cover, for the caliber size. It may not be .22. The cover is too high above the sight blade, which makes me believe it's not for the KKW.

Very nice rifle.. And very early for a Gustloff. The muzzle cover looks to be off a Gew98 imperial or Weimar period. They are milled not stamped and are more valuable than a k98k variant. Value and price are always subjective and it comes down to wanting it and what to spend. That rifle I could see selling for 1k-1500.00 tops maybe on a good day.
They seem to run hot and cold. As I have paid as high as 1500.00 and as little as 700.00 for others. Just depends on the day. That is a really nice example and would be right at home in any top collection.

Thank you all for your input and it sounds like I paid a realistic price.

As for the muzzle cover, there are no markings. The blued finish is pretty consistent with the rest of the rifle. I tried it on a Gew 98 and the distance between the sight and guard is about the same as the KKW. Inside diameter of the cover is about 16mm and it does not seem to fit as well on the Gew 98. Not sure if this could be for a S. American Mauser or maybe it is original to this rifle. It came with it and the bluing wear on the muzzle looks consistent with the muzzle cover being taken off and on during its use. I never saw one like it before!

image.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back