Third Party Press

Nambu

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
This one is probably way out in left field for this forum, but I wanted to share. Picked it up off of Gunbroker. Named to a mechanic in the 21st infantry that saw service in the New Guinea and the Philippines. Birthday present to myself. Its my first pistol with a matching mag. Still factory grease in areas. I like the multiple capture papers and tag for the holster. Really a nice rig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)#Interwar_and_World_War_II

Attachments

• 1 (Large).JPG
    1 (Large).JPG
    232 KB · Views: 92
  • 2 (Large).jpg
    2 (Large).jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 3 (Large).jpg
    3 (Large).jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 4 (Large).jpg
    4 (Large).jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 5 (Large).JPG
    5 (Large).JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks guys! Rounds out my minor foray into Japanese collecting.

Here is my Type 99 that I picked up locally a little while ago.

Attachments

• 20150710_193147 (Medium).jpg
    20150710_193147 (Medium).jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Capture (1).JPG
    Capture (1).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 42
Thats two capture rigs with papers! I never find capture rigs with papers. I think I need too buy another AX40 too get even with you ugafx4 haha.

Thanks guys, apparently the strap is an MG sling. My guess is T4 Cover liked the beefier sling and threw it on the holster with the pistol.

In my opinion, is is very uncommon to have capture papers from the PTO. Rifles with serial numbers listed on capture papers, very difficult to find, it is fairly common to see " one Japanese rifle", with out the serial number, listed on capture papers.

Great scores, nonetheless.

In my opinion, is is very uncommon to have capture papers from the PTO. Rifles with serial numbers listed on capture papers, very difficult to find, it is fairly common to see " one Japanese rifle", with out the serial number, listed on capture papers.

Great scores, nonetheless.

I bought the type 99 for that exact reason. The rifle is not remarkable itself, but it's the only one I have seen in person with a serial. It's also a NC vet which is neat. I have seen very few type 99 with serial numbered capture papers. Less than 5 probably. It's also rare to find ETO capture paper with rifle serial numbers listed. I'm trying to and have had no luck. I have seen more papers with serials added in different handwriting or handwritten on a typed form. I don't purchase these because there is no way to know where it came from or when it was added. So it's tough to measure how many are really out there.

I think the control of war trophy rifles was much less regulated than pistols. Rifles were carried home a lot and don't pose the same dangers as pistols. Pistols were mailed home more and needed serials listed.

I had a guy tell me his relative mailed him a rifle home. He came to the house one day and the rifle was leaned up against the house with a hang tag on it with the address.

I bought the type 99 for that exact reason. The rifle is not remarkable itself, but it's the only one I have seen in person with a serial. It's also a NC vet which is neat. I have seen very few type 99 with serial numbered capture papers. Less than 5 probably. It's also rare to find ETO capture paper with rifle serial numbers listed. I'm trying to and have had no luck. I have seen more papers with serials added in different handwriting or handwritten on a typed form. I don't purchase these because there is no way to know where it came from or when it was added. So it's tough to measure how many are really out there.

I think the control of war trophy rifles was much less regulated than pistols. Rifles were carried home a lot and don't pose the same dangers as pistols. Pistols were mailed home more and needed serials listed.

To me the condition of the gun is offset with the historical value of serieled capture papers. I have a boxed t99 with the serieled custom tags and capture papers sent home from Iwo Jima. The rifle was disassembled and had a liberal amount of grease slathered on every part. When I found it in 2005 it remained unopened from the crate. Took the gun out and started cleaning and it appeared it was picked up from the battlefield and had rust on it such as the buttplate and dust cover. The rust was sanded bright,( dust cover, front band and rear band), coated with grease and packed away and sent home. The rifle is a 24 th Kokura, with mum, AA sites, matching dust cover and push in rod, very rare to have these features this late. Anyhow the condition though matching is fair, however how many rifles are out there with serialed capture papers and sent home in the box from Iwo?
Many collectors do not feel a matching serialed paper adds to the value. In my opinion it does significantly, especially historically.
For fun I have on the ETO side, 15 sets of capture papers, mostly pistol, one or two rifles, a helmet, a cleaning kit and maybe a bayonet. On the PTO, I have 4 sets, so extremely scarce. of course this is my opinion...

Anyhow, great acquisition.

Missed this thread while away on business

great find there are several folks who make brass for this pistol, why would you shoot this pistol, there are plenty of mis matched beaters on the market to shoot

The Type 14 Nambus are pretty pleasant to shoot, if you can find ammo. Nice finds!

Yes they are; kinda fun, too. I have a bunch of 8mm stuff. This one is somewhat battered, but has a good bore and groups well at 15 yards.
Bob

Military Rifle Journal
Back