Third Party Press

Need help IDing unmarked k98k bayonet

bhdau1

Along with the CE 43 98k I bought from vets family there was a bayonet as well. No scabbard or frog. They bayo itself is in nice condition. Blued blade, dark red brown bakelite grips which are attached by means of slotted screw. The catch nut is WaA253. The serial on blade is so faint it is virtually unreadable except for barely being able to make out the first and last digit 2 and 3. There is no code/date or maker mark on the blade. The catch/latch is numbered to match 2503 and is also WaA253 to the right of the ser #. It is very well finished and put together and goes along with what I think I have found so far in regards to the WaA253, that it is 1940 or earlier manufacture. I disassembled it and found several markings and symbols under the grips on the tang. One side has 4 squares stamped in a square pattern next to the serial# stamped on tang. On the opposite side of the tang there is a symbol and german cursive lower case "a" followed by a period and perpendicular to that a "WIW". Without pics can anyone tell me anything about it from what I have described or do I need to take pics or is it a lost cause?

Last edited:
It would be nice to see finish of Your piece, the ricasso area, by WaA253 should be the production prior 1940, so red plastic grips are wrong on it, should be heavy dark brown or black ones there. The WaA253 normally should be on pommel and other parts, it could be blanko with matching locking nut when the 2503 is on tang too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back