Third Party Press

Need help to indentify weird Kar98 dated 1916

Polaak

Hello,

I own this supposed "kar98" but i am not sure if it really is one or not, it is indeed marked "Kar 98" on the side of the receiver but it's dated " Erfurt 1916 " on top of the receiver too ! And as far as i know kar98 didn't existed in 1916 so how is it possible ?

The gun isn't in his best shape but still.
I would really apreciate any help or information you can give me about it.

Here are some photos of it overall and of markings.

113.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 41
Totally normal markings for a Kar98a, not to be confused with the Kar98K, a much later development of the Mauser 98 design.

Okay thanks i didn't knew that, however when i look online the kar98A has some differences with mine like the gun sight , do you belive it's just that it's a newer barrel maybe?

It also has an incorrect style bolt. Kar98a bolt handles are bent down at a 90-degree angle, distinctly different than the K98K.

Hello again.
I've done some research about this gun, It indeed has a k98az receiver and trigger gard, with a k98k barrel and k98k sights. the stock however is weird and was cut because it was used as a hunting weapon for a bit of time.
I however still have some questions and points i want to share, hoping someone has the answers.

1) Is it possible to be an official K98az converted to a k98k ? It seems possible but opinions seems to vary a lot on that so i don't know in the end .. ( It has two different serial numbers on the receiver, one on top as shown in pictures and one under it ( so inside the gun ) who is different and has an "S" preceding it.

2) Knowing that k98k and k98az bolts were curved , is it a gewher 98 bolt ? If yes it seems this rifle is like frankestein : made out of 3 different guns

3) Is it a russian capture ? There's no "X" on it anywhere but no parts are matching numbers and the underneath of the distance adjustable sight is colored like silver while the top looks black or at least way darker , i'm not sure but i saw people saying this is a thing russians did to captured k98's ..?

I'm planning to get this gun a new stock and to clean it, that's why i want to know the history of this gun.
And finally, i'm guessing it isn't worth a whole lot of money in it's current state but if given a little bit of care ( like a nice k98k stock etc, i'm not a pro ) would it be interessing then ?
I hope you guys can still help.
Thank you in advance

Military Rifle Journal
Back