Third Party Press

Need help with Emil Busch scope

WarBoy

Hello everybody, this is my first post here and of course I need help! I recently just bought my first Mauser Mod. 98. Its in great shape minus that it has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Which got me thinking, somewhere a long time ago a friend of the family gave me an old scope that would look great on the rifle. So I dug it out. Looking for some info on it and if I can some info on where to buy a scope mount that would fit it. It says "VISAR" 4x D.R.G.M. 5438 Emil Busch A-G Rathenow. Reticle is three bars and the adjustment seems to work. From what little I can gather its a German company possibly made before WW1? Any help you guys can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

with a scope like this there is no windage movement only elevation. your only hope is the rifle was drilled and tapped for Leupold base which has some windage movement. If not you will need to find a set of objective claw mounts or regular claw mounts to have them soldered on and bases installed and the mount alone can get pricy 200-500 range of course unless you find a deal gunsmith fees will be pricey also for the mounting work. yes your scope is Pre-WWI production.

later
vaughn

vaughn,

Thanks for your reply! I haven't got any closer on figuring this out over the holidays so your advise is appreciated. I am a machinist by trade so I could probably make just about anything work. I know it will never be "correct" but would at least like to make it look that way. Is there a certain mount you would suggest that I start with that will fit my scope? I can then modify it to fit the rifle if I need to. Thanks again. I will try attaching pictures of the rifle and scope so you know what I'm working with.

Attachments

• IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 42
That scope is too old for the rifle and not something ever put together in military use AFAWK. A set of repro turret mounts such as this site's owner produces or used to produce would be a better fit IMHO, and would cover the holes without requiring any dovetailing of the receiver ring as many claw mounts do. You'd have lots of scope choices with the "turm-montage" and could sell this scope and put the funds towards a scope from the WWII era.

Military Rifle Journal
Back