Third Party Press

Need provenance on a double date Kar 98

ncsammy

I have an Erfurt 1918 1920 double date with a stock stamp that I believe indicates the military or non military unit that it belonged to. Can any of the experts on this era provide any help. Thanks in advance.

Sam

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 45
Sammy, these are as yet unknown. There are theories, but I don't think any of them are universally accepted. I have one such marked Gew 98.
IMG_20190818_104933958~2.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

That is a busy stock Chris! But, I agree there is no universal agreement among those that specialize in the Republican era rifles on meaning or interpretation. The markings are pretty common and they seem to vary in application (few has the same exact pattern), but the main problem is so few complete rifles exist with these markings intact and original to the period.

It is difficult to find a G98 that served in the Republican era that wasn't tinkered with, often reworked or worse, in the Second World War. It seems the most "original" survivors are RM/KM examples and they are rare in any condition, but a couple have been discovered in pretty original RM condition.

Sammy, these are as yet unknown. There are theories, but I don't think any of them are universally accepted. I have one such marked Gew 98.
View attachment 263987

Thanks for the comments, guys. Chrisftk: I'm not sure about my double date being tinkered with. It has all matching #s down to the receiver screws. The alignment of the screw slots and the lock screws make it it look like it was never taken apart.

Sam

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 19
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the comments, guys. Chrisftk: I'm not sure about my double date being tinkered with. It has all matching #s down to the receiver screws. The alignment of the screw slots and the lock screws make it it look like it was never taken apart.

Sam
Sammy, it looks righteous to me. I love these interwar reworks. One of my favorite focuses.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Military Rifle Journal
Back