Third Party Press

New board member needs help with value of K98 take down rifle

243ackley

Long story short I have been buying drilling’s and other hunting guns from Germany over the past 2 years. I have a German friend who sources the guns and a importer in the US that handles all the legalities.

My friend has come across a mint original byf 42 take down rifle. The metal is 98% and the wood is 98%. It is damn near mint.

The gun will have to be import marked if it comes into the US.

What do you think something like this is worth? I have never had the opportunity to buy a gun like this.

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum Ackley. Impossible to help with value without pictures, could be $200, could be $2K, everyone's definition of "mint" varies, to collectors here mint would be as original as possible, untouched wood, numbers matching.

I can only speak for myself on the import mark but the recent one's I've seen are big and ugly and usually across the receiver, it's going to be a good size value hit for most collectors. If it could be kept discrete the hit wouldn't be as much but at a minimum I think you would drop a 1/3 on value with the import mark.

Good luck
Nick

By "take down" do you mean a "cut-away" for visibility of function for instruction? The ones I have seen were earlier, ERMA rifles, U stamped.... There's one on GB now for about $5K, and no takers

Takedown K98k

If one of the Mauser Oberndorf test rifles made as a takedown (similar to the Japanese paratrooper takedowns) I would imagine that the price
would be in excess of 25-30,000 and likely much higher.

Same applies to a G40k. Any of these test bed examples command prices commensurate with their rarity.

Also, its not this one on EGUN currently:

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=11599433

Its a decent copy but certainly not an original example.

I can’t get my images to load to the website. If somebody could post them for me I could email or text them to you.

Here's the pictures:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Polish_20200923_132059322.jpg
    Polish_20200923_132059322.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Polish_20200923_132110703.jpg
    Polish_20200923_132110703.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 155
That’s it. My friend buys guns off of e gun on a regular basis. He is wanting to know what it is worth to see if it makes sense to import it.

They have brought in over 200 guns from Germany in the past 12-18 months.

What do I need to look for when determining that one is not original?

Thanks for all your help. I went back and looked a Richard law’s book when I got home and I see the gun I mentioned is missing some key markings and the plum color is wrong.

Some of the screws don’t match the ones used on the gun in the book also.

I am sure there is more but that is what jumped out at me

Thanks for all your help. I went back and looked a Richard law’s book when I got home and I see the gun I mentioned is missing some key markings and the plum color is wrong.

Some of the screws don’t match the ones used on the gun in the book also.

I am sure there is more but that is what jumped out at me

The best books to use as a reference were written by guys right here on this forum, the Karabiner 98k series. Laws book is a bit outdated and contains errors.

I had pointed out this rifle to Bruce and Mike yesterday. It is a neat reproduction and about as close as you can get to an original. Seen as this it is a cool item to have and I do think whoever spends the 2000 Euro will get a cool eyecatcher. What the true value is - no idea.

PS: Bruce, you broke your own rules by posting a live auction ...... :googlie

Thanks again Bruce. I just talked with my friend in Germany and his local expert on military guns told him it was a fake as well.

This is the exact reason I stopped collecting and sold most of my collection 10 years ago. I don’t have the time that I used to have ( before kids and a job traveling) to study the books and know what I am buying.

Thanks again.

Thanks again Bruce. I just talked with my friend in Germany and his local expert on military guns told him it was a fake as well.

This is the exact reason I stopped collecting and sold most of my collection 10 years ago. I don’t have the time that I used to have ( before kids and a job traveling) to study the books and know what I am buying.

Thanks again.

Translation to lazy to buy the proper reference materials and invest the time into collecting, but has plenty of time to search internet auctions to import rifles from germany

send him a invoice

I had pointed out this rifle to Bruce and Mike yesterday. It is a neat reproduction and about as close as you can get to an original. Seen as this it is a cool item to have and I do think whoever spends the 2000 Euro will get a cool eyecatcher. What the true value is - no idea.

PS: Bruce, you broke your own rules by posting a live auction ...... :googlie

You could call it a Turd Alert since it is not original and that is OK to post.

Translation to lazy to buy the proper reference materials and invest the time into collecting, but has plenty of time to search internet auctions to import rifles from germany

send him a invoice

Thanks for the nice comments. I had no intention or desire to buy the gun. My friend asked me for help and I was trying to help him.

The only guns I am interested from Germany are old hunting guns.

send him a invoice

Translation, grumpy boomer needs a nap. Grumpy boomer wonders why no one listens to him.

send him a invoice

Really? That was pretty harsh Sprat.

Attachments

• 4b7.jpg
    4b7.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 20

Military Rifle Journal
Back