Third Party Press

New discoveries are still out there

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
This is (so far) the only known example of a Carcano Cavalry Carbine made for the commercial market, produced by Beretta in 1943. Before this one was discovered, the last known Italian commercial rifles were a very small number (roughly 2000) of Beretta M91s produced in 1940. It was assumed that the war had ended all commercial production which was very limited to begin with. Exactly who these very late commercial carbines were intended for is anyone's guess.

Of course, this one is depot marked. I am convinced that literally every possible configuration of Italian Carcano imaginable can, with some effort, be found depot marked.

Even after 75 years, its nice to know there are still new things to discover. Its what makes collecting this stuff so interesting.

Attachments

• Rifle Right (1).JPG
    Rifle Right (1).JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Rifle Left.JPG
    Rifle Left.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Barrel Left.jpg
    Barrel Left.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Barrel Right.jpg
    Barrel Right.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Stock.jpg
    Stock.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Roundel.jpg
    Roundel.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 94
  • HZa.jpg
    HZa.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 93
I 100% agree to that Ryan if after all these years of information and data gathering were still making new discovers.

Like this one last year as far as I know the only matching LZA1 found on record. Hopefully more turn up one day.

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 89
Several years ago a local gunshop had one of the Finn issue, [SA] marked Carcano carbines that had a marking on it - on the barrel shank or receiver, I forget which - that looked like a small, straight-wing, Waffenamt type eagle, kind of like the little marking you see stamped on various 98k parts. It didn't have any number or letter under it, as I recall it looked kind of like a little V or a check mark with straight wings.

I asked about it on Gunboards, but got no intelligent responses.

It was at the shop for a long time, condition was excellent, and the price was right. I kept kicking it around in my head whether to buy it every time I saw it, as this little mystery marking intrigued me and I figured that if this was indeed a German marking, which I was pretty sure it was, it probably added some value and collector interest.

But when I finally decided to go get it, it was gone.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back