Third Party Press

New MFI Safety Mod for my GSG MP-40

Madmatt

I just finished the install of the latest modification made by MFI for the GSG MP-40. This time around they addressed the anachronistic safety knob with a period correct looking and functioning one of their own.
The install does require taking the gun apart and getting into the guts a bit, but was easy enough if you have some basic understanding of how the lower section comes apart and the area around the hammer and sear mechanism. The biggest hurdle, has nothing to do with the install of the new safety itself, but rather just making sure all the other parts are where they need to be as you put the lower section back together.

safeties.jpg
New MFi Safety on left, stock GSG safety on right.

The MFI safety knob works just like the authentic MP-40, where you can rotate the knob into 4 different positions that are locked into place by the stock plunger that will drop into 1 of 4 detents cut into the top of the new safety. There are detents at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. The knob is knurled on the edges but when in the two "fire" positions (3 and 9 o'clock), there are two easy to see (and feel) holes in the knob. When the safety is rotated to one of the two SAFE positions (12 and 6 o'clock) , you only see the knurled and ridged edge.

SAfE on.jpg
Safety is on... Gun will not fire - Sides just show the knurled edge.

Fire On.jpg
Safety is off - Gun will Fire - notice the hole which is on both sides of the safety.

On the bottom of the knob MFI have printed the bnz WaA 623 waffenamts.
waffenamts.jpg

Once installed, the safety works great and since it is built with weapons grade steel it feels sturdy and firm. Much better than the stock one. I would rate the complexity of the install at about a 5 or 6 and took me maybe an hour to do, but most of that time was spent just getting the gun apart and back together. Instructions for the install can be found in the GSG MP40 Help Facebook page but I will see if I can get permission to reprint them here is their is interest.

All in all, I would say this is another winning product from MFI and is another step in totally defarbing the GSG MP-40.

Link to where to order the MFI Safety Knob (works on both 9mm and .22LR versions of the GSG MP40): https://mfiap.com/i-23900027-mfi-gs...includes-sh-via-1st-class-usps-insurance.html

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back