Third Party Press

nice matching byf42

Is your front sight numbered? Mine is E/140, no number.

I had to dig it out of the safe as I didn't have a pic of that area for some reason. Usually I photograph every marking or lack of marking if it's relevant but I guess I forgot. Any way, yes, the front sight base is e/140 and it is unnumbered. I also noticed my follower is e/103 which is a bit unusual.

Great guns and as always I love to see markings under the butt plate on the stock. Three beautiful byfs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Even earlier than my L block, which is in about the same condition. Mauser made plenty of byf 42 98Ks, but most were eventually lost in the fighting in the east. That makes them somewhat rare today, except as RCs. The guns made early in 1942 retain the beautiful workmanship and slick actions of the pre-war guns since no production short cuts had yet been adopted.

If my collecting can be said to have a theme, it is the year 1942. It was the pivotal year of WWII. The Allies were losing badly on all fronts at the beginning of the year, and there was deep despair and pessimism. Ships, planes, and men sent against the Axis in those early months were almost invariably lost to defeat. The US was actually preparing plans to defend against a Japanese invasion as far east as the Rockies. Many thought that negotiation was the only solution. By the end of the year, the Allies had learned to fight the Axis, and were advancing everywhere. Unconditional Axis surrender was now the agreed ultimate goal, and the seeds of Allied victory had already been sown.

I heartily recommend Winston Groom's very readable book, "1942". (You'll recall that Groom wrote "Forrest Gump".)

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back